Monday, January 3, 2011

Adventures in Relief Society: Object Lesson Objections

Here's a new one for you: today a passive aggressive fight ensued over an object lesson. Relief Society President (RSP) turned out all the lights in the room except a shaded 20 watt lamp. She assured us that there was a point to this exercise if we would wait around for it. I was ready for a nap anyway, so I didn't mind. But when she asked the sisters to read passages of scripture in the dim room, not-so-subtle hints and grumblings arose about their abilities to read small print in the dark.

I foolishly thought that this was the object lesson--something trite and obvious about how we're in the dark and scriptures bring light but not without the holy ghost and tra la la. Something like that. But no, RSP really DID want us to read aloud, and the difficulty of doing so was NOT, in fact, the point she was attempting to make.

So there we were. Twenty minutes passes in the dark before she asks us to read another scripture. For a moment, we protested with our silence before the sassy old lady erupted on our stunned RSP.
Sassy old lady: "Can we have the lights on now?"
RSP: "Only if you want to RUIN the point of the object lesson."
Sassy old lady: "And exactly how long does it take for you to make a point?"

Ah yes. That did it. And it wasn't 3 minutes after the lights got switched on again before another sister pouted that she liked it better when the lights were off.

"Me too," RSP audibly whispered, "Me too."

4 comments:

Emily Alder said...

I love those moments in church when it's so awkward it becomes awesome. Our lesson today was about how we should come to RS and also do our visiting teaching. The presidency member teaching prefaced the lesson by saying, "I've noticed in the past few weeks that there have been women who should have been here but weren't, so I thought it would be good to talk about the purpose of Relief Society." I hadn't been to RS since November (even though I'm the RS chorister), and I realized I had just been served. RS passive-aggressiveness 1, Emily 0.

Our RSP also has a habit of telling really personal details of other peoples' lives for whatever purpose she desires. She starts off the stories about her "friends," but then ends up naming who it is anyway. I have to fight every urge not to turn around and do that really shameful STARE at the person whose secrets she's telling, not because I want to shame anyone but because I want to see how pissed off they are that this information is becoming public.

Lost in Translation said...

This is yet another time I clutch my set of library keys gratefully and thank my lucky stars that I haven't had to attend Relief Society for more than a year now.

Madame Palmkey said...

I missed RS yesterday, we just left and went to a friend's for lunch, it was totally awesome. Your class sounded awesome. First Sundays really do offer scope for crazy, since the presidency can do whatever they want. Yah!

Brooke said...

I followed you over from Mhana's blog. Just wanted to introduce myself as a new blog stalker. =)