Over 2nd Christmas with the in-laws, we discussed what would happen if we used gender inclusive language in church materials where appropriate. We really liked what happened to the song "As Sisters in Zion" when changed to "As People in Zion." But let's face it, it really doesn't improve the song much.
The fault lies not so much in the lyrics as the tune. It's sooooo dingy. The sisters usually scoop at the start of every measure, and the entire thing makes me a little sea sick. Not to mention that it gets stuck in my head. Bad.
The lyrics have a pretty interesting history, actually. The song you scoop to on Sundays has been completely modified from its original, with the exception of the first, eighth, and ninth verses. The original was written by Emily Woodmansee, published in the Women's Exponent in the days of polygamy and the lyrics reflect the time. Several verses focus on dressing plainly, two focus on tending to children and the elderly, and two focus on serving the poor. It was not a song, but a poem. How it became the dingy tune of the Relief Society, I'll never know.
But since it's been modified, I wish the church would just consider replacing it entirely with something more updated. Oh, say... "I Am Woman."
2 comments:
"As People in Zion" is modestly better, because at least that doesn't presuppose that only Mormon women are capable of working together, helping out others, and strengthening the feeble knees. The song is pretty weak sauce, though. It's so serene and docile—just like the perfect Mormon woman. I've never much liked it.
I'd love an ode to Esther—an anthem to celebrate Purim, possibly? We have so many songs deifying our prophets and Joseph Smith. I'd love some bad ass anthems to celebrate the few females of note in our religion. What about a song about Mary Fielding Smith trudging across the plains and laying her hands on her ailing ox and blessing it? That'd be pretty awesome. That's walking by faith, sister friend.
I could go on for ages, but you know that. I think our entire songbook and correlation department is fifteen years overdue for a mass overhaul. (Don't get me started on the YW manual—finishing school manual, much?)
Personally I think it would be much more empowering to sing "I'm a Woman" as made famous by Peggy Lee. Especially as I think it much more accurately represents the expectations placed on the average Mormon woman everyday of her life.
Feed the baby? Yes. Powder your face and look perfect? Yes. Be able to sew, make clothes look great, cook, and decorate on a conservative budget? Why else do they continue that horror once known as "Enrichment"? Even better, it lists how we're supposed to be everything to the menfolk from doctors to a soup-kitchen to fabulous love-makers.
I think I'm gonna start a petition. Or maybe I'll just slip it into the "practice hymn" one day a la Bart Simpson handing out "In the Garden of Eden by I. Ron Butterfly."
Post a Comment