Monday, January 3, 2011

Parenting Tips from a Dog Owner: Medicine

This is part of my new series, Parenting Tips from a Dog Owner. And yes, it is intended to be obnoxious.

It's all about your attitude. Children, like dogs, react, respond, and often mimic your attitude. They will also eat just about anything. Use these two facts to your advantage when you give your child pills.

For example, today I gave Olive (my faithful Labrador) her pills by pretending they were just as tasty and desirable as her treats. With an array of treats and pills before her, I fed her pill then treat then pill again! She was so fixated on getting the next treat that she barely noticed the chalky taste of glucosamine on her enormous pink tongue.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Oh how I wish that would work on Walter. The problem is that he falls in that mysterious chasm between fastidious human and picky dog. Solution: pry open his python mouth, shove pills as far back as hand goes, clamp mouth down and blow on nose to ensure swallowing. And yes, if necessary, I will try out that technique on my children.