Friday, September 10, 2010

AYCJ - Day 4 Pissed and Legitimately Penniless in Pomona

Today on our way to the Getty Villa, Bianca's car finally fell apart for good. I don't speak car, but things were leaking and the car was overheating and it was all very sudden and gripping and we had to cross 4 lanes of heavy L.A. traffic to pull over in a place that IF Buster Bluth were in our trunk, he may have reasonably assumed we had arrived in Mexico. The Mexicanness of the area was certainly the best part of the entire ordeal as the nearby legit Mexican taco cart got us through the day. So delicious. So cheap. Anyway...

We hied to a Jack-in-the-Box "to protect us from the hot Mexico sun" and justified our 4 hour stay by ordering one large raspberry milkshake. When the tow truck finally arrived Bianca also came to the rescue in a borrowed car. It was a bad day for us, but probably worse for Bianca. It looks like her beloved Shera is just this side of "not quite dead." There have been a lot of memories in that car. That car is the car where Logan and I first exchanged "I love you"'s (6 years ago, not this week...just want to make that clear).

So anyway. That was bad. U.S. Bank made the day worse.

We asked that U.S. Bank merge our accounts. We checked and double checked as to the effect that this would have on our day-to-day operations and they assured us all would be well. "It's like forwarding a phone" they said. HA. They failed to inform Logan that "merging" = canceling. Whose account? MY EFFING ACCOUNT. The account I have had for over 20 years. So, to be clear:

1. Without ever once informing me, their customer of 20 years, U.S. Bank CANCELED MY ACCOUNT. This means: I do not have a single cent to my name. I have no access to my money that was there a day ago. No debit card. No ability to even deposit money. It's as if I never existed.

2. This means I that the only way I have money is through my husband. Logan is the greatest guy on the planet. Nevertheless, I am reeling. I can not palate this 1950's set up. I feel completely helpless. I am 100% dependent on someone else for money.

3. So somehow, it is possible to cancel my account but not remove a person from an account. Fine. We'll cancel Logan and MIL's joint account and get a new Chase one as soon as humanly possible.

Now let's address the legal ramifications: All my money is now in Logan's and MIL's account. If Logan dies, I have absolutely no legal right to the money.

I really hope this Lady Gaga party is good because I have had a seriously shitty day. I hear there will be chocolate, so that is a good sign. Then after going to bed late, we leave early tomorrow morning for SLC. I have some work to do then it's time to party with old friends. Can't wait to see you.

4 comments:

Emily Alder said...

Josh and I never merged accounts. I don't strictly stick to the "what's mine is mine" mentality, but I just didn't see a reason when we are both self-sufficient.

However, I understand reeling after being effectively erased. When we bought a car, Josh was put on the title even though I paid for it with *my* money. I'm STILL mad about that. They didn't even ask me-- they just slapped him on there (and FIRST, btw). Same deal with the house. Legally, Josh is apparently more important than I am, even though I organized everything related to the house (finding it, choosing it, and all monetary transactions). I don't think Josh even thought about it, but I still bring it up.

Madame Palmkey said...

Isn't it delightful being a legal non-entity? I have equal rights to our money (Chris had an account in his own right which I joined) but I also emptied my coffers into his, had to get a new debit card etc. But then I also went through the whole rigmarole of changing my name, which if I had been thinking clearly when we got our license instead of reeling from my thesis defense, I never would have done in the first place. The whole being a legal child thing is very Napoleonic Code to me (yes I too speak legalese, though its rather antiquated now). You can take comfort that even if your name isn't on the account, if you get divorced down the road you can still go after it. witness my parents. Not that I think you'll get divorced.

Josh Alder said...

It's true... I never even thought about the whole my name being on the car until later (but, I pay for the insurance... so maybe that's part of it?). It certainly wasn't an attempt to be the overly dominant partner in my marriage, because anybody who knows Em will realize THAT is not going to happen!! (not that she's a tyrant... she just values her identity, as she should... though, I'm preaching to the choir here).

If it really is a legal issue should your spouse die, I'll definitely put Em on my account. If I die before Em (something she has informed me I'm NOT allowed to do), I want her to have the few farthings I have in my savings account. And my cherry red Ford Focus too, now that it is paid in full. :)

Motion DeSmiths said...

We merged the accounts to simplify. Talk about a major backfire.

Josh and Emily--when I'm a lawyer I will correct the title on the house for you. It's super easy to do and pretty important. The account is less of a big deal. If it's in your name alone, Em will get a portion of it on your death. My issue is that Logan's mom is still on his account so every bit of it would go to her on his death.

Anyway, this type of law is what I actually enjoy so give me a ring if you have any questions.