Thursday, September 23, 2010

AYCJ - Day 12 Mall Madness

It was our last day in Washington, so we scrambled around the Mall seeing all the Smithsonians that we missed yesterday. The highlight being the American History Museum and its exhibit on First Ladies and their dresses. Never mind that they have brains and are formidable in their own right--Lace! Sequins! DRESSES! Love it.

From the Mall we wandered into downtown D.C. where there was shopping and people all about. This was fortunate because it allowed me to pop into a dressing room just to fix my unrelenting wedgie. At this point we were starting to get hungry, but we figured that the right restaurant would just present itself. So we walked on only to find out that NOTHING is open on Sunday except chains and I refused to eat at a Quiznos in D.C. when I could have Quiznos at home.

So we walked some more. And more. And every restaurant door was closed. Finally we saw the bus to Georgetown and attempted to ride over there but discovered we were fresh out of cash. So a very grumpy Maret and Logan proceeded to walk. At this point we had skipped lunch and were approaching 5:30 PM all in the pursuit of the right restaurant. The hunger and heat and exhaustion made me a bit nutters, and Logan begged me to stop at a Subway for a mediocre sandwich. But I said "NO! We have to eat something AWESOME!" fully giving into the crazy. (Logan's note: She really was crazy. Quite pleasant and easy to be with, but following her hypoglycemic logic felt like following the white rabbit down the rabbits hole.)

None of my magic iPhone apps were even remotely helpful, so I continued to walk in the direction of GWU, in faith that college areas are the best areas to find deliciousness. About an hour later, we found The restaurant of my dreams. Not only was it open, but it was AMAZING. I now realize that I followed its siren song.

The Founding Farmers is a "farm-to-table" restaurant owned by farmers around the country that serves traditional American dishes cooked to absolute perfection. The hostess informed us that it was a near miracle that they were having a slow night and that he could seat us right away--it's not unusual for them to have a wait of 2 hours or more. When he learned that we just stumbled upon the place, it was as if he couldn't fathom anyone NOT knowing about the Founding Farmers. "We're the busiest restaurant in D.C." he said, managing not to sound snooty, but proud of his business.

And he had every right to be. The meal stands out as one of my top five meals of all time. Ever. In my long history of eating incredible food following my family's legacy of eating for pure recreation. THIS meal was the tops. (Logan's note: Previous note notwithstanding, I'll never doubt her again. Subway would have fed us, but I will blissfully remember this meal for years to come.)

We shared a handmade ginger soda--created just for us at their bar with fresh ginger. I'm going to attempt to recreate it in my home with some club soda and simple syrup. It was sooooo good.

For dinner I had a Yankee Pot Roast on mashed red bliss potatoes, served with root vegetables. Logan had the cage free chicken with lemon and mashed red bliss potatoes and long green beans. I know it sounds like simple fare, and it was, but it was sooooooooooo good. I just can't stress that enough. If you're in the area, you have GOT to go there.

2 comments:

MJG said...

I'm so glad you followed the siren song! That's awesome. I will definitely keep that restaurant's name tucked away for future use.

Madame Palmkey said...

Yeah? Well I ate my OWN cooking and it was...edible. Poot on you both.