The Smithsonian was the plan for today. Not all of the Smithsonians, obviously, but we went to Natural History, Native American History, and most importantly for my uber nerd of a husband, the Air and Space Museum. I have seldom seen him so gleeful as when he looked at the Spaceship One model or the Apollo 11 capsule. It was really cute.
My favorite exhibit of the day was probably the rocks and gems at the Natural History Museum. I just love ogling other peoples' ridiculously old jewelry. It's great fun. And the rocks portion of the program reminded me of Mr. Wood's 7th grade Earth Science class. "Today we're going to learn about RAAAAHCKS and LAAHVA!" he would say, and spit a little as he did so. I digress.
When the museums closed we walked to the Capitol and took silly pictures and laid out on the lawn to rest our weary feet. I'm telling you. My feet have never been so abused. Not since I was dancing 5 days a week, anyway.
Thanks to magic Google Wizards we found a bus headed to Georgetown and went window shopping. Then we saw a cupcake bakery. Then we saw the line coming out of the cupcake bakery. Then we saw the menu for the cupcake bakery: Georgetown Cupcake.
If I were a cutesy blogger, I would likely change the font a pink 16 pt bold just to emphasize its cuteness and importance. But I'm not. Instead I will provide a link and tell you this: the line just to get in the door went around the block.
To understand why this is so important to me you must know--I love cake. I really like cupcakes, but according to Logan's recent survey, 90% of cupcakes are a disappointment to me. (Logan has enough data to for a survey--he is dragged along to bakeries all over so that I can collect inspiration in the form of menus to frame and hang on my kitchen wall). But these cupcakes. I have got to tell you, these were maybe the best cupcakes I have ever had. We're greedy, so we bought a half dozen*--all of which were great, but if I had to rank them it would go:
1. Peanut Butter Fudge: "Valrhona chocolate cupcake with a fudge core topped with a peanut butter frosting and fudge star drizzle" (Note: All descriptions are copied from Georgetown Cupcake's website. Because I simply cannot improve upon them.)
2. Salted Caramel: "Caramel cupcake with a salted caramel-infused buttercream frosting topped with a caramel drizzle"
3. Chocolate 3: "Valrhona chocolate cupcake with a rich Callebaut chocolate ganache icing topped with french chocolate sprinkles"
4. Red Velvet: "Classic red velvet cupcake with a vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with a red fondant heart"
5. Caramel Apple: "Fresh apple cupcake with a dulce de leche core topped with a vanilla cream cheese frosting and a dulce de leche star drizzle"
6. Coconut: "Classic coconut cupcake with a vanilla cream cheese frosting capped with a cloud of shredded coconut"
Cupcakes and milk. I was in heaven. It's pretty difficult to "wow" me, but these completely blew me away.
* Don't worry, we ate the 6 of them over the period of two days.
2 comments:
I got separated from my mom in the Museum of Natural History by the Hope Diamond. It took us an hour to find each other. But the jewels are cool and all. :)
Did you call Andrea while you were in DC?
Post a Comment