Thursday, September 9, 2010

AYCJ - Day 2 and 3 on Reading and Aging

We were somewhat stranded in the house on day 2, which was fine by me. I was exhausted and this house has a TON of amazing stuff to read. Between Bianca being a med student and her roommate being a fellow Mormon feminist, I read voraciously for the better part of the day. The material: Blueprints Obstetrics and Gynecology and From Housewife to Heretic by Sonia Johnson. I got half way through each and got through several more chapters of The Associate by John Grisham--the book which has convinced me that my mediocre performance in law school was the nicest gift I ever gave myself.

On day 3, we drove to Oceanside to see Logan's Gramps and Grandmother. We had a long and sweet visit. But it's just too personal for the blog. Gramps sums it up best: "getting old is not for sissies." We're glad we got to see them. They are still so in love after all this time and are the most adorable couple. Grandmother doesn't always know where she is, but Gramps is still incredibly sharp. While holding her hand he explained that he and Grandmother made a pact: "She doesn't always know where she is, but we made a deal that as long as she can see me, she's home."

1 comment:

Emily Alder said...

I had a professor tell me to research Sonia Johnson when I claimed that I could be both a Mormon and a feminist. (She told me I was a moron for believing that I could care about being a woman AND be religious, and did the equivalent of sticking her fingers in her ears and humming when I tried to respond). I'm not big on Sonia Johnson.