Saturday, May 21, 2011

Roller Derby Rocks

I don't want this to sound too much like the plot of Whip It, but I DO want to quit everything, join a roller derby league, and call myself "Lady Just Hits." Because the Emerald City Roller Girls just rocked my entire world.

FINALLY a sport I can enjoy. Punny team and team member names? Check. Fishnet stockings and sequins? Check. Silly announcements? Check? Cool non-douchey fans? Check. A game with personality? Where competing teams get funky between bouts? So action packed it makes football look like a knitting party? Check, check and check. And let's not discount for a second the intense athleticism of these ladies who are tough to the extreme.

We were rooting for the Church of Sk8tin, whose motto was "In Quad we Trust." Their uniforms resembled Catholic Schoolgirl outfits and their mascot was a NAUGHTY NUN! These girls got knocked down, shoved over, and brutalized while the jammers for each team speed skated past (and through, and over) them. It was completely absorbing. In the end, the Andromedolls won the league championship, but it was a tough, competitive, close bout.

I love this sport. And it's so powerfully female. It's a sport where any and all body types are welcome--each with their own distinct advantages. It's a sport that has both major team and individual components. And best of all, it's a serious challenging, strategy sport that doesn't take itself too seriously. If you have a roller derby team in your area, I highly recommend going to the bouts. They are a riot.

1 comment:

Lost in Translation said...

I've always wanted to see roller derby. It sounds exactly like my kind of sport. It turns out that Salt Lake actually has a roller derby, so perhaps we'll have to check it out.

Awesome write up! Sounds like a blast.