I'm having a big fat crush on Eugene today. And it doesn't hurt that it's a sunny 71 degrees. Here are some things I love about Eugene that are really found only in Eugene. Oh, and... Aunt Joy. You might want to skip the rest of this one :)
1. The apothecary. I get to pick up my dog's pills at an apothecary which makes me feel a bit Elizabethan in a good way. "Compounding pharmacist" really doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? Also this particular apothecary has a gorgeous office that makes me want to settle in with a cup of tea for the afternoon. As if this isn't cool enough, they sell a wide selection of the incredibly classy Lelo brand sex toys. LELOS! Color me impressed.
2. The People's Bathroom. The nearest restroom to Logan's studio is not a Men's restroom. It's not a Women's restroom. It's a "People" restroom. Yes, friends. My husband has had the privilege of pooping in the same bathroom as another woman. And that woman most certainly was not me (while we are comfortable farting in front of one another, we're not one of those couples). But you see, the People's bathroom is so convenient that you really get over your elimination inhibitions quickly.
One of the best parts of this bathroom is the graffiti which is so full of history it's like an anthropological dig. First, the bathroom was officially labeled "People" but some art student (this is the art building after all) went to great pains to paint a psychedelic "LIBERATED" just above that. As if this wasn't enough another rapscallion scrawled "OVERLY" above "LIBERATED" making the bathroom for a short period the "OVERLY LIBERATED PEOPLE." But perhaps a liberated person thought this wasn't at all the right message to be sending to the co-ed curious. That person squeezed a "T" into "OVERLY" creating the "OVERTLY LIBERATED PEOPLE"'s bathroom. Then, just because they could, another person added a "C" to "OVERTLY" which created the bathroom we know and love today: the "COVERTLY LIBERATED PEOPLE"'s bathroom.
But that's just the door, friends. One of the stalls has graffiti in the grout tiles. And each sentence written in the grout is a grout pun or at least grout related. The only one I can remember right now is "Much ado agrout nothing." But there are dozens more. And YOU thought there WERE no grout related puns. Just goes to show...
3. The deer. We live on City View St. which sounds as if it has a certain snobby air to it. I let people think that, but this street runs from the low lying wetlands all the way up the hill. We're in the wetlands part. I walk Olive up the hill just to dream that I lived on the part that HAS the view instead of the part that IS the view. Because it's a freaking fantasy up there. There are gorgeous homes and quiet roads and deer that prance. Prance! I want to live in the place with the prancing deer! But for now, we just watch them. Every walk.
2 comments:
No you don't. Prancing deer = no garden. We were commissioned to throw rocks at the deer as children to herd them out of the garden which they were sharp enough to enter but too dim to get out of.
Posts like this remind me of the parts of Oregon I miss the most. I miss the funkiness and oddness of the area. A People's Bathroom in Utah would probably result in a change in legislation forbidding ungendered bathrooms.
Post a Comment