If you faithfully follow these chronicles you will remember that my poor law student wardrobe comprised of men's footwear and clearance items left me resembling my teenage self. I still love clearance. But I've recently decided that the mere fact that something is $6 is not reason enough to purchase it. It must also be fabulous.
I made it unfrumpily through winter with 2 sassy new boots, clearance skinny jeans (for beautiful green suede boots to go over, not to be worn on their own), 2 cardigans, and a couple great shirts along with the rest of the crap that graces my closet.
So for summer I decided to make a plan and a budget and all that good stuff. Be my online shopping buddy as Operation Unfrump continues:
Needed:
* 1 summer frock to wear to weddings and church and on particularly cute days. I think I found it: This green dress with rosette trim OR this off-white dress with black embroidery, add cap sleeves http://www.eshakti.com/popuppdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&productid=CL0015481 . I love eshakti. Not only will they custom tailor their clothes for CHEAP, but I can add sleeves and lengthen almost anything. It's a happy thing for a murmuring Mo like myself. Double bonus: I got a gift card to eshakti for Christmas. Thank you, Logan.
* 1-2 lightweight casual skirts. For flouncing. MIL gave me a skirt sewing project for Christmas, and I'm cashing in on it as soon as she gets back from California. We're going to a skirt with a wide band at the hip with gathering off of the band. And maybe a ruffle if I catch her in a good mood. Here are my fabric considerations: Yellow Seersucker, Poppies for the Band. Skirt 2: simple blue pinstripe.
* Shorts. Buying shorts is the worst. They're never really cute, per se, they're just tolerable. I sorta like these: Metallic Herringbone Shorts even though the fact that I actually like shorts with a slight metallic sheen makes me feel like I should probably retire and move to Palm Springs. That aside, they're not the worst. Let me know if you find better ones as I certainly won't be needing them until July at this rate (stupid Oregon weather).
* A couple cheap T-shirts and breezy tops. Like this one, only at least $250 less.
* Some fun baubles. I like this and I think I'm going to have Logan add a similar design to his wood sheet next time he uses the laser cutter at school.
* Sandals with a short heel. I demand that they must also be comfy. These stappy ones are close, but I'd prefer them in blue or a warmer yellow. These are awesome but too expensive.
I'm thinking that between Christmas gifts, crafty relatives, and searching for coupon codes online, I can easily buy some spring/summertime self-esteem for less than $150.
3 comments:
Maret! I need to unfrump as well! I was browsing through my closet and realized that I am still wearing some of my mission clothes. This is unacceptable. Unfortunately the whole budget thing is kind of going towards our future move. They have a Plato's closet in Salem which is an upper class consignment store. I am in love! If you are ever up here we should go!
Love the unfrump project...the expensive sandles are fabulous! Good luck.
You could always submit an Outblush Personal Shopper request and see if they have any tips and tidbits. I find that they usually dig up interesting stuff within the shopper's budget.
I love your ideas, though. And yes, the expensive sandals are fierce.
Post a Comment