(Post dated: 6-27-08) We’re back. Our final week in Hong Kong consisted of lounging on beaches and kayaking to remote little islands. It was too intensely beautiful to actually describe, but we loved it. We also did a fair bit of shopping. Fashionable mens shirts equivalent to $4? Don’t mind if I do. A jaunty hat costing $1 in the States? I’ll take two. We dispensed small chunks of money at an alarming rate—buying anything that we thought we might need at home, but was surely cheaper here. We bought clothes, candies, exotic sugars, even doorknobs for home.
Our return to Utah was bittersweet. While it was good to revel in forgotten luxuries such as being able to control the shower’s temperature and fitting both of us into the same kitchen, it was weird to be back in such an ugly, boring, brown place. Though I’m jet lagged, I already miss not having a nightlife. I miss not seeing real buildings or trees. I especially miss the subway and walking past fruit stands on my morning commute, and spending pennies on groceries. Our first trip to the grocery store since our return cost about as much as Logan’s tailored from scratch suit in Hong Kong. No exaggeration.
Ah, well. I’m glad to be home anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment