Monday, June 16, 2008

Running Out the Clock

It's my last day of work, and I'm absolutely giddy about it. I'm going to hit the town and paint it a communist red...or something.

It's not that I don't enjoy work, or even hard work. I do. What I can not get behind is fulfilling my required "hours." Do you know how much more efficient I am when I'm doing school work? I get everything done at lightning speed. I am the poster child of efficiency. I probably complete an 8 hour work day in 3 hours. Offices kill time.

This expectation that you should have to do face time with a boss is absurd if you can complete exactly the same amount of work better and faster with less "face time." The theoretical ideal is working lightning speed for a full 8 hour day (which is something more like 10 hours for lawyers). But I can't. No one really can. You burn yourself out. So your options are: 1. work like hell for 8 hours and give the leftovers of your attention and energy to your family OR 2. complete your work at a sauntering pace. Most people choose the later, and the result is that precious life has been sucked into the vacuum of offices: sterile, stale, white, cold, offices.

And to make a long story short, I hope to cut the fat and change the future of the workplace. At least for my employees.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, just to clarify, when are you flying in to SLC? Shoot me an email. Btw, have really enjoyed your blog!