On a more bittersweet note, we checked out our apartment last night and we will soon be leaving the swanky Marriott. While I know I will miss the free baskets of fruit, the maid service, the marble bathroom, the plush bathrobes, the city view, the pool, the chilled scented hand towels outside the steam room, the complimentary morning muffins, sleeping with 6 feather pillows, and curtains that operate with the touch of a bedside button, it will be really nice to have a kitchen again. By kitchen I mean I will have a sink, a fridge (that isn't miniature and stuffed with overpriced Godiva chocolates and wine coolers), a microwave, and 2 stovetop burners. I know I can at least make some french toast or something, and I have missed food that doesn't need rehydration.
Fortunately, this city doesn't seem know that it's Chinese. No one here seems to acknowledge it, and if the Smiths weren't so cheap, maybe we'd forget too. Last night we splurged and went to a balsamic-vinegary type place which was seriously a western embassy. White people from around the globe gathered to celebrate shaved Parmesan cheese and chicken breast and fresh veggies! Ohhhh it was goood. The French people across from us seemed to think so too, and for just once, Logan and I didn't feel so lame about the fact that we don't speak Chinese.
1 comment:
I've decided that cooking is way over-rated. I think the job you did in the Hotel was JUST FINE: Assuming you don't run out of food you brought. No wonder you must buy clothes--you didn't have room for them :-)
Post a Comment