Friday, May 23, 2008

Lunch: A Black Thai Event.

I was bored. There hasn't been much work to do since my supervisor left for mainland and I've basically been making this blog and playing weboggle in my hours of free time. Then I got a call in my office, which took me by surprise. It was the area counsel for the church asking if he could meet me for lunch. I only just refrained from shouting "HECK YES!" 1. Because he's probably refined and 2. Because it would sound so...Utah.

Anyhow, I met him at the church office building where he gave me an offer to work on a couple projects for the church in the area. I was/am floored. This is so cool. I mean, I can't exactly divulge what I'm going to be doing exactly, but my work might be read by 12 very important men. Ahem.

We then went out to lunch with the senior missionaries and one of the guys in my class who is working there more permanently. While looking at the Thai menu, the sister missionary couldn't figure out what to order. Thai was not exactly her forte. I started rattling off recommendations, when suddenly the attorney I'm working with closed his menu and said "You know what, why don't we have Maret order, she sounds like an expert." So, I did, and everyone liked their food so much that they made me write it all down so they could refer to it at a later date. It was fun fun to be the life of the party, and I walked back to my other office feeling rather prideful, and generally full.

But as always happens in these situations, I was humbled. Almost immediately. And what would follow would be a very boring discussion about how commentaries on the law are not the law, but how this one particular series wasn't labeled, and in short I had an embarrassing chat with a senior partner about my stupidity.

Now the Logimeister and I are off to ride the Star Ferry for sweeping views of the city and then later getting some dinner...hopefully not Thai food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Max and Rafe lessons in action! You've gone "chopping" at the Ladies Market and now you are ordering Thai food. Just don't start watching the "Brady BRUNCH" while ex-er-sizing.

I want you to know that I spent a lot of time getting set up in gmail so that I could leave comments. You should be proud.