Sunday, August 15, 2010

Notes about Oregon: Blackberries

Even though everything goes moldy several weeks before it should and I still have no friends, since August hit I am loving my return to Oregon. The drivers are fantastically polite, the weather is gorgeous, and best of all: there are blackberries EVERYWHERE!

Imagine that your second favorite fruit of all time grows like a weed...okay, IS in fact a weed, and that it grows uncontrollably in your town and that and every time you walk the dog or swim at the lake, you get delightful berry snacks by default. And every time you want to make cobbler or pie or gelato, you just go pick berries off the side of the road for a half an hour. I am a 5 minute drive away from a blackberry patch that is literally two stories tall (Chambers and Loraine, for you Eugenians). It is sagging with all of the plump, sweet, gorgeous blackberries on its vines. And these are not the terrible berries you buy in the store that are watery and flavorless, these are sweet and tangy and amazing, oh and uh...free.

Check out what we picked last night: we picked for less than an hour with a dog on a leash and we still had so many that had to freeze most of these.

It is difficult for me to believe that more people don't pick berries. I actually had to explain to the Dari Mart guy where to get them. Uhm, has he EVER been outside? They're difficult to avoid. I guess the prospect of getting more than a few casual berries can be somewhat intimidating for the uninitiated, mainly because of the threat of death or serious bodily injury from the thorns. Most people wear shorts and tank tops this time of year, but I recommend picking early in the morning or just after the heat breaks for the day so you can wear a long sleeved shirt and jeans and good shoes.

Once properly attired, a good way to access hard-to-reach berries is to take one large silly-walk step into the bush to lower the vines with your foot. If you're really into it, you could bring a ladder and hedge clippers. But gloves are overkill. You'll drop half of your berries, and the other half, you'll squish.

What to do with the berries once you get them home is up to you, but I recommend floating them in water to get rid of the inevitable debris. Then you may use them for delicious ends. I made up this recipe for a blackberry buttermilk cake with hazelnut (also Oregon-grown) strusel which was to die for (Logan's studio prof ate like three pieces AND the crumbs in the pan). And of course there is the infamous blackberry gelato and just eating blackberries alone or with plain yogurt or with peaches and cream. Basically, despite the fact that this is my second huge mixing bowl this season, I'm going to have to go picking again.

Please post with blackberry recipes. I probably could use some savory recipes to ward off the diabetes that runs in my family, but sweet ones are fantastic too.

5 comments:

Logan said...

Interestingly, I just had my exit interview with that same professor and she showed me my final evaluation* and it went surprisingly well. Coincidence? I say nay.

*for arch studios you don't get a letter grade, you get something more akin to the course evaluation they always want you to fill out after each semester. That's stuck in your file that all future professors will get.

Madame Palmkey said...

I make a fantastic blackberry pie. WHY AM I MISSING FRUIT SEASON. This is driving me mad. Chris has picked a bunch of berries for me and frozen them for future treats, but nothing beats pie with FRESH berries.

Lost in Translation said...

I'm thinking you could convert the bourbon peach cobbler recipe on the recipe blog into a bourbon blackberry cobbler.

Oh, drool.

Xoxo Grandma said...

This post brought back memories of picking blackberries at your grandfather's construction yard off of Otty Road...the berries were amazing. Your grandmother would make a yellow cake in a deep pan and dump a bunch of blackberries on the top, bake it and the berries would sink to the bottom of the cake and then we'd eat it hot with vanilla ice cream. Wish there were blackberries here...I'm missing berry season in Oregon! Have you thought about a writing your own cookbook?

Mindy said...

I went blackberry picking last summer, but get this...I had to pay for it. At a farm. Sounds crazy to anyone who has ever lived in Oregon. But then again, it sounds crazy to pay almost $4 for a tiny box of tiny little tasteless berries at a store.

The perk of going to a farm to pick was thornless bushes. I left without a scratch.

And Mhana, I will have to get your blackberry pie recipe. I have made a version a couple times for Spiff, and while it tastes delicious, it is a mangled disastrous mess. We have dubbed it Blackberry Mangle, and I am on the hunt for a better recipe.