Friday, August 6, 2010

Miscellany

I am made of time. I was so looking forward to this day, and now I'm not sure what to do with myself except feel like a useless loser because I don't have a real job and I don't have any friends in Eugene. I just can't be content. I think I knew this about myself, so I kept a sticky note list with things to do post-bar. At the top of the list is "make money" which I have been moderately successful at doing since Monday. Not MUCH money, mind you, just a few projects. That are now over. And I have nothing to do. And Logan is busybusybusy building tiny town. Next on the list is jetskiing, but since I don't own jetskis, refuse to go backpacking alone, can't afford a Pilates class or gas to drive to Portland, know of no good concerts, and can't go to the Oregon State Fair until it starts in September, it looks like I'm stuck with deep cleaning the house or reading for fun. Which one will she choose?

Yesterday Beatrice and Hubby visited from Utah. We basically ate our way through Eugene because we are kindred foodie spirits and that is what we do for fun. We both exchanged food gifts for heaven's sake. Our dining was nothing fancy--just Cafe Yumm and Sweet Life. Here's your food porn for the day. We shared: tiramisu, nipple of Venus, marionberry cheesecake, pumpkin cookie with brown sugar frosting AND a chocolate eclair. For midnight snacks we ate three year old cheddar from Australia and I tried my first ever Pluot this morning for breakfast.

Having them here, I realized how much I miss having all of my law school friends around. It's a lonely existence. Please visit me.

I haven't listened to the radio in the car since I bought an iPod during my first year of college. Sometime during bar study, iPod was removed from the car so I could listen to criminal law lectures that have lived on there since I was a 1L. So, alone in the car with nothing to entertain, I turned on the radio for the first time in years only to land on a country music station. If you know nothing else about me, you will at least know that I De.spise. country music, especially radio country (Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins are folk which is an acceptable form of entertainment.) ANYHOW, I giggled the entire way home--TWO separate love songs to one's truck and another about the virtues of marrying at 17 and another about calling your ex while drunk. Country is hilarious. Still complete and utter crap, but hilarious.

My dog. What to say? No one will believe that when she's home alone with me she sleeps the entire time. Because for guests, Olive is freaking INSANE! She LOVES visitors and thus unable to contain her glee, jumps and skitters and flails and shakes her entire body--which is 99% muscles and teeth. Even though she does it with a sappy grin on her face, it's dangerous. Not to mention embarrassing. Sorry.

5 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

I will be home soon. Then you shall have a friend! Is there nobody in your ward who seems like a promising friend? I think we shold get together with the Shepalders and the Hambletons like we did that one time.

Motion DeSmiths said...

Ward friends...yeesh. Those are tough. There is one woman under 30 in my R.S. and she frequently says things impassioned things that make me tick. Maybe I'd like her better in a non-church context. Or maybe they could move me to one of the auxiliaries where all the young people are.

elliespen said...

We miss you muchly. I've been feeling pre-emptively jealous of Beatrice and Hubby for a few weeks because I knew they got to see you guys soon. Our evenings are a lot more boring now that we can't just look at each other and say, "Hey, let's see what Motion DeSmiths are doing."

Lost in Translation said...

Still pouting, particularly now that I'm sitting on my couch with in a desert so dry my contacts are threatening to shrivel up in my eyes and a hideous amount of cleaning to do.

Mindy said...

It always takes a year in any new (or new again) place to feel comfortable and to make any real friends. Lame, but I have found it to be true. Good luck. And enjoy Mhana when she gets home, since we're too far away to be with her.