Sunday, March 7, 2010

Validated.

I don't think I have ever left church this happy. Not only was our R.S. Lesson awesome, but meanwhile in Priesthood meeting, leaders of our ward acknowledged that:

* Women used to be ordained to the priesthood
* Women are currently given the priesthood in the temple
* The church's current policy against women using this priesthood seems to be a temporary cultural practice.

All things that no scholar of church history could deny. All things I thought would take eons for the general church public to recognize (and you don't get more general church public than our family ward in South Provo). They discussed ways that their spouses could participate in healing the children; they said there is no reason the wife could not dedicate the family home; and beyond that, discussed how to be more helpful in the family home.

Amazing. I'm talking the Elder's Quorum Presidency and the reliable guys that show up to every activity and stay late to help clean up ACTUALLY shared my liberal viewpoint on women and the priesthood. I'm absolutely thrilled.

Now, granted, these were the viewpoints of the men who were talking. I'm very curious about how the rest of the group took it, and I'm very excited to see that the incoming crop of church leaders is awesome.

3 comments:

Lost in Translation said...

Damn. I'm so bummed I wasn't there for this lesson. It sounds like it was amazing. I would have been happy to hear the messages. I definitely could use the reassurance.

Scott said...

"Women used to be ordained to the priesthood"

There's no denying that women will receive the priesthood in the future. (Well, you could deny it if you really haven't been paying attention...) I don't deny the "used to" part, but I'm curious as to the citation.

Motion DeSmiths said...

Scott-
I'm not sure where (or if) the guy who said that got his source, but here is an academic article originally from Dialogue that cites several sources (I find it much easier to read in the second format).

Dialogue: http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/dialogue&CISOPTR=14306&REC=9

Reproduction: http://www.signaturebookslibrary.org/women/chapter2.htm#Mormon

The author cites journals of early members, microfilm of R.S. minutes, and correspondence with the first presidency (kinda like a revenue ruling...maybe I'm too steeped in tax law at the moment).