My fam has a bit of a tradition about making New Year's predictions instead of resolutions we won't keep. Typically we predict who will get married, where we will go on vacation, who will have babies, etc. We also typically make unkind predictions about who will die, which boyfriends will get the boot, and who will finally come out of the closet. Every year there seems to be a prediction about the Clinton family, and frequently, our predictions aren't far off.
This year was no exception to the time honored tradition. We began by reading last year's predictions and associated comments. Kristen and I proudly won the election prediction that Obama would be elected the next president. The rest of the family (who are so far right of center they walk funny) predicted that our dear Hiliary Clinton would be president. Associated with this prediction was that Hil would come out of the closet and/or begin menopause. I cannot confirm the verity of the later at this time, though I would not be surprised.
Kelsey predicted that I would drop out of law school, and though I laughed her to scorn at the time of the prediction, I had no idea how seriously I would think about at least transferring. But again, that prediction was made after my glorious first semester--right before I found out it was a giant bait and switch. Ah, well.
Predictions about where I would go on my externship: Dad cruely predicted Kansas and Ma said anywhere in Asia BUT China. Bwahaha. I went to Hong Kong. They both lose.
Contrary to our predictons our dog, Lady did not die. My dad's siblings survived the year. There was no giant natural disaster in the U.S. Lover and I did not justify our existence and concieve. We did not buy any more property (which was probably a good call on our part). Kristen was neither Laurel class president nor Homecoming Queen, and she was greatful on both accounts. Kelsey still lives at home.
In 2009 we predict that...
- Kelsey predicts Disney's major animated picture will suck.
- Maret predicts KJ will beat dad at Age of Empires III.
- Dad predicts that gas prices will go lower than their low in 2008 of $33.87 a barrel.
- The kids predict that parents will cave in and Kristen will get a dog.
- All predict Kelsey will get engaged. (Kristen and I shudder)
- Ma and Kelsey predict Maret will sell recipes and articles to magazines (I have no idea why they think I have the time or ambition for this, but okay...)
- Logan predicts he will get to help build the addition to the cabin this summer.
- Kelsey predicts one of Logan's sisters will get engaged.
- Dad predicts that Ma will push for a bill to get pay raises for the state legislature and the dems will call her their hero.
- Ma says this is crazy because the state has no money
- Pa refined his prediction to say that they should get prevailing wage
- Ma said skeptically, "Oh yeah, because I LOVE prevailing wage..." The argument continued for several minutes.
- KJ made several predictions regarding feces. He's seven.
There were dozens more, but they would probably only interest me. I ended up making a resolution anyway, just because it's so good and I can't possibly fail: My resolution is to become better at making cakes. I've got cookies down, but my cakes are hit and miss. I started by making a celebratory red velvet cake which was delicous, but the recipe still needs tweaking before I post it.
My New Year's eve fantasy led us to a black and white ball in Portland last night for east coast and lindy. We're both pretty mediocre at it, but we had fun and it was a great excuse to wear my favorite Christmas present. Logan gave me the vintage reproduction dress I had been ogling for months. What better place to wear it, eh?
hk
1 comment:
OK
1) There is no way the Smith girls are getting engaged this year. They wouldn't DARE steal my wedding thunder which will be a subject of talk for at LEAST 6 months after my wedding.
2) The red velvet cake looks like an animal died. Make your next one to look like road kill. Also, please make me chocolate cake!!!!
3) I miss you
4) I think i missed why BYU is a giant bait and switch. Please complain to me!!!!
Post a Comment