Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gluttony

Since we didn't have the time to fly some place tropical for me to thaw, we instead took our spring break in Portland where we made it a goal to visit as many eateries as possible to build a fat layer to shield against this never ending winter. Typically when we vacation we've spent so much on flights and hotels that we subside on snacks and one restaurant meal a day. Not in Portland, food Mecca of the west.

My favorite new find was Salt and Straw where our group enjoyed olive oil and pear and gorgonzola ice creams. Ohhhhhhhh baby. The olive oil tasted like a rich caramel and the pear and gorgonozla was alternately sweet and tangy. I loved them. Of course they had more "normal" flavors like caramel cupcake such but going back to this place has consumed my waking thoughts. I want to try bone marrow and black cherry ice cream, beer and bread pudding ice cream, and lemon basil sorbet. Like...pretty much all of the time.

Okay, and speaking of bread pudding, Papa's Soul Food Kitchen in Eugene has the best damn bread pudding I've ever had ever (and I'm a bread pudding freak). It's that beautiful place between a custard and a chewy confection drizzled with bourbon sauce with just enough kick to warm your mouth. And it's immense. Four of us shared it after our meal (which was also to die for) and we had plenty.

I wish someone would pay me to eat at places. How do I get that job?

2 comments:

elliespen said...

I was just reading another blog I like and she mentioned Salt and Straw, too. And a few other places. And I want to go to there.

http://www.lainitaylor.com/2012/04/portland-with-kids.html

Lost in Translation said...

I could really go for some bourbon bread pudding right now. Unfortunately we didn't get to Salt and Straw when we were in Portland, which is yet another reason to come visit. I miss you guys.