I've been too surly lately. I'm a worrier. It's not a great trait. So consider this a count your blessings blog post in which I brag about my way fun life.
#1. My cousin posted a series of outfits she wore while participating in the 21 day challenge to look more put together. I became inspired to stop looking like a super frump. I'm wearing the cute clothes that have been orphaned in the back of my closet. I'm boldy pairing tops and skirts that I would never before dared to pair. And now I do this weird thing where you put on scarves and jewelry and jackets and I think it's called accessorizing. And dammit if I don't look the sexy fashionable beast I was always meant to be. I have really enjoyed looking cute. I think it does wonders for the old self esteem. Even if it shouldn't matter. Because it doesn't.
#2. Thrift store finds. Check it: a heat dish for my tootsies- $8, brown leather Nine West flats in new condition - $2.50, a nice working sewing machine - $15, and a copy of the Feminine Mystique for $0.50 (which incidentally was categorized under fiction). Reading Betty Friedan's masterpiece out loud to my husband as foreplay--priceless. So happy I married a feminist.
#3. New office. I thought it was not possible to find a better office than the one I was so rudely cast out of. Well, blessing in disguise, I was wrong. In addition to being huge, and having a receptionist, and having utilities included, and having use of the conference room, I'm trading estate planning services for rent. So I have 400 more square feet, a receptionist and I'm paying LESS. Awesome. Since I finally have a room big enough, I'm getting my giant Asian dining table out of storage to use as a bad ass executive desk. I'm very excited.
#4. Work is picking up. Enough said.
#5. Jewish Temple. We went to shabbat service (am I saying that right?) on Friday night with a Jewish Reformer congregation. It was the most fun I've had at a religious service bar none. 80% of the service was loud singing in transliterated Hebrew, 10% was a brief sermon, 2% was dancing, 8% was eating. It was SO much fun! If it weren't for the whole Jesus thing, I'd trade religions in a heartbeat. :)
So there you are. Things could be worse. Life is not the miserable hole I sometimes mistake it to be. Everything does not suck. Speakers at general conference aren't specifically trying to piss me off. The mail man is not intentionally late. My dog does not know her farts stink. I can be happy. See. SEE!
9 comments:
Best blog post ever. I'm excited about your accessorizing/newfound hotness. Also, your sewing machine purchase. I've been meaning to go thrifting for quite a while... this post inspired me to put it on my calendar for real.
This is a good post! I'm glad you are finding ways to count your blessings despite the imperfections of your current life. Hooray for looking hot and hooray for a new office! We miss you both.
Ha, so glad I could inspire you. Maybe you should post some of this new found put together hotness?
All this talk of sewing machines makes me sad I haven't ever learned to sew. I'm glad things are looking up.
So glad that things are looking up. Especially glad that the office situation worked out so well. And now I need to go thrifting, too. And bust out the sewing machine. And accessorize. (And point out that my word verification is "uprativa," which just sounds fun.)
What that the challenge from the Freckles in April blog? I followed some friends doing it as well and I really liked how it was about using what you already had. And I just assumed that you always looked nice since at church you always look so polished and put together. I admit to having slight outfit envy when I see you in your cute clothes.
sorry - "WAS that" not "what that." darn fat fingers.
This makes me happy! Your optimism is contagious!
You are very funny. Seriously. I might even use the word "hilarious". I will be back :)
Post a Comment