Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Urban Farmerette

Okay, hear me out: Chickens.

We can't be entirely sure why, but we've recently become infatuated with the idea of having a few backyard chickens. And I think it was spurred by a recent article lauding Portland's foodie-friendly laws. When I found out that Eugene also allowed for them, I was stoked. I feel like I ought to get them just because it's a city ordinance I can get behind.

So this has really become our thing du jour. Lover is designing a chicken coop from "reclaimed" materials (aka: stuff we can find lying around at our parents' properties). And I am researching which chickens will give me the large deep brown eggs I so desire. We're so excited for our hypothetical chickens that we've already named them "Martie" and "McFly" (because hens are female, we believe that Martie with an "ie" is better than "y").

We're also gardening. Last year was our first foray beyond herb gardening and we thought we were hot freaking stuff for growing lettuce, a couple peppers, and a buttload of tomatoes. Well now we're serious. We're not messing around. We've got raised beds, a straw bale garden, a planter box for sunflowers, and a freaking bean ladder. Yeah. Watch out. This is some in-your-face gardening. It's actually really fun.

And if you ever wondered whether you've crossed the line from young person to adult, well...sustaining a 45 minute conversation about gardening with your similarly situated friends is as good of an indication as I know.

4 comments:

MJG said...

I'm completely jealous (of the garden). I don't think I'll ever have my own chickens, but I hope to live by someone like you someday who might just let me buy a few fresh eggs. :)

Madame Palmkey said...

I'm glad we were there for your transition to adulthood. I planted peas this morning. I am worried that you will start to hate your chickens as much as you hate your cat.

elliespen said...

I am also jealous of the garden. And I love that you're getting chickens. I may just go watch Chicken Run as a sign of solidarity.

Lost in Translation said...

While I adore the wonders of homegrown vegetables, weeding is among the tasks in the known universe that I like the least. Good on you for taking on the home garden.

I'm interested in how the chicken experiment goes. I also think it's pretty nifty that the city ordinances allow them. Your chosen names make me smile.

Also, my word verification is dipless. How rude of it to draw attention to the fact that I am indeed dipless today.