Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventures in Relief Society: The VT Coordinator

I've avoided having to be a visiting teacher since leaving Provo. Which, incidentally was the only visiting teaching "route" I have ever done with a cheerful heart because they assigned me to the Scritchy One and her to me. Chances were, we would be hanging out that month (or day) anyway. It took two solid years of sub-par performance to be assigned this dream route, but I cherished it for as long as it was available to me. Really, the only thing I hate more than visiting teaching is being visit taught (in the traditional, non-Scritchy sense).

But it appears as if our relief society is stepping it up a notch. I got a visiting teacher this month who actually knew me prior to being assigned to love me (so it may not drive me insane). And today I got a call from the VT coordinator. I decided I should probably be honest with her. When she asked if I could be a visiting teacher I spilled all.

"I can be a visiting teacher. But historically I'm the worst visiting teacher that ever existed. I have always been paired with inactives who want nothing to do with me. Or two moms who would spend the entire time talking about their children's bowel movements. I don't love the program, nor to I feel compelled by a sense of duty to check off a box."

The woman on the other line starts CRACKING up. She genuinely thought this was hilarious. I worry she thought I was joking. Like this was some bit I give to all my visiting teaching coordinators. So I pressed on. I told her about how my last ward finally paired me with another girl from law school. And that was the only thing that worked.

She continued to laugh "OH, Precious! I'm going to be laughing about THAT all weekend!"

"No. Really."

"OH, I'm sure! I'm sure! I've just never had anyone actually tell me up front that they're probably not going to do their visiting teaching! Most people will just say 'yes, I'll do this' and then they won't! HAHAHAHAH!"

"Oh...kay?"

"So, I'm HAPPY to find something that works for you. Just DELIGHTED! I LOVE making the visiting teaching program WORK! You know I'm going to be laughing about this ALL WEEK. I mean, ALL WEEK! HAHAHAHAHA!"

So, I think that whoever called her to be a visiting teaching coordinator was truly inspired. Not only did this woman remain resolute and optimistic in the face of extreme pessimism, but she was positively giddy to have an unwilling but honest participant. I have lowered her expectations so drastically that she told me that she will be SO impressed if I do my route this month "even though it's not ideal." I think this means that I get a cookie for doing what other people do out of a sense of devotion (or duty). Or it means that if this month doesn't work, she will custom tailor a one person route just for me.

I think this is the perfect, albeit totally creepy way to finally get to know that one girl who is a UO Law student and whose husband is a stay at home dad. Just saying that someone is a stay at home dad makes me like the entire family more. As my friend rubric indicates, I enjoy the slightly off-kilter mormons. These people could be right up my alley. :)

5 comments:

Lost in Translation said...

I love this. I don't know if her reaction could have been better. Personally, I think it's a lot easier to work with unwilling but honest in most circumstances—at least you know what you're getting.

I wish more things in life and particularly in the church were handled with this kind of good humor and grace.

Josh Alder said...

I wish more people were honest when it came to church responsibilities. When they asked me to be the Varsity scout leader a few years ago, I told them that I'd be happy to do it, but warned the bishopric counselor that I'm not a particularly outdoorsy guy, even though I enjoy camping and fishing here and there. I told him that I don't like guns and would refrain from participating in any shooting activities (about 85% of all scouting outings when I was a kid in Eastern Oregon), other than just being there. And, I told him that I wouldn't be silent about encouraging the young men to look at college opportunities beyond BYU.

He said, "No problem. You'll be great. The boys need someone like you as a role model."

Nearly three years later, I'm still in the calling. And I've really enjoyed it. Weirdly enough, of all the adult YM leaders, I'm the one who the boys seem to relate to the most. When we go on trips, they literally fight over who gets to be in my car (which, being a Ford Focus, holds the least amount of boys of any leader's car, since I'm the only leader who has no kids). Most of them have friended me on Facebook, and they constantly ask me when we can have Rock Band parties at me house (Answer: Usually once every 3-4 months).

So... although I'm not the best scout leader to teach them how to kill wild beasts or enroll as a pre-dental student at the Y (I'm literally the only YM leader who isn't a BYU alum), Emily always tells me that the boys need me to show them that there are a lot of ways to be an active male member of the church without just being a carbon copy Peter Priesthood.

Logan said...

I heartily applaud your allusion to quality modern literature (Portal). I love having a wife that is just nerdy enough to be awesome.

elliespen said...

I was just thinking about being visiting teachers together the other day. Yeah, I really miss you. And also my perfect VTing record with you. Since you moved, I've had two sets of VTers, both of which have been really nice, but it's just not the same. And I haven't gone visiting teaching once. I don't even know who my companion is.

I may have to try this tactic next time. One of the best stories I've heard about visiting teaching, ever. (Oh, and I also thought of you recently when "The House Bunny" came up in a conversation somehow.)

Xoxo Grandma said...

When I was RS Pres,I wish people had of been more honest about being a VT. Seriously, it would have been less of a problem at the end of each month.

I remember your Grandmother was a great example in this area.

My favorite companion ever is my current one....your Uncle. It makes coordinating so easy. We only have one person that actually wants our visits...the other 3 are "friendship, take them treats or monthly gifts" type of people...and who doesn't love a monthly gift? Sometimes, we learn a lot when we're compelled to do something we don't want to do. Good luck with whomever you get to fellowship!