My dog is sick. Though right now, you'd never know it to look at her.
And today, because she is sick, I'm happy that I'm me. Because it means that when my vet says it's "illegal" to allow us to give her injections at home, my brain doesn't take it lying down. I fight. I argue. I find a new vet. Because I don't take "no" for an answer. Because when I hear the word "illegal" from a layperson I get skeptical. Because, dammit, it's my dog.
I'm not paying anyone $90/month for the rest of her natural life just for the sheer pleasure of sticking her with a needle. Month after month. I'll do it. And I'll do it cheaper.
I'll find a generic alternative or have one compounded for her.
I'll research to find when the drug patent expires.
I'll drive to Canada and buy a lifetime supply. (I'll figure out what to do at customs later).
Anyway, the whole thing makes my blood boil.
3 comments:
I'm pretty sure you can get across the border pretty easy. Em and I were in Toronto last week, and crossing the border in our car was a piece of cake. Just drive to Vancouver.
When I first read your comment, Josh, I thought you meant that you had a piece of cake in your car when you crossed the border, as an example of how easy it is to cross the border with contraband. Only after wondering, for longer than I care to admit, why you might think that the Canadian border patrol would be on such alert looking for cake-slice smugglers, did I finally realize you meant it was easy to cross. Period. I kind of liked the mystery of the other story better, though.
Poor Olive. Red tape makes my head hurt, especially when it's arbitrary or patently inaccurate (which is sounds like this vet's view on "illegality" is—he's not giving you large animal tranqs or something).
I do admire that you get stuff done, rather rolling over an accepting defeat. I think too often out of laziness or fear of authority or whatever people just assume they have no recourse or other option.
Fight the power! :)
Post a Comment