Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cheers to Three Years

Three years ago at this very instant, my incredibly awkward cousin was following Logan and I out of our reception hall and to our car. He fancied himself the paparazzi of our wedding event, thus our simple "go away" didn't work. HE was the obnoxious relative that got in the way--sometimes literally--of our photographer (crappy, though she was). Now we have several "soft focus" (ie: blurry) photos of Logan and I looking annoyed/sexually frustrated in formal wear on the way to our honeymoon suite. Ah, the memories.

But everything after that moment has been a bliss complete.

We are currently celebrating our anniversary at the Smith family beach house. We had an amazing dinner of crab bisque and lobster macaroni and pork cheeks and the best tiramisu I have ever eaten. Logan made me these awesome earrings of laser cut wood. They're so cool. Other than dinner, we have yet to leave the house. There is absolutely nothing to do in Bandon if you don't love golfing in the heavy rain. Not that our isolation has been a bad thing :)

Reflecting on the last three years, I can only stand amazed at how perfect my husband is for me. I am more convinced every day that he is the absolute best person in the world for me. I've grown so much that feel like I am a different person than I was in 2007. And he has always been right along with me. It's just so amazing to think about it. No one else could have supported me like he does. He's there through every crisis, through every day of self-doubt, through loneliness, and through every night I stay up late because someone on the internet is wrong. But more often, he's there to help me enjoy every single day.

It's been three years and we are still unable to go to bed earlier than midnight because we can't stop talking. We've shared favorite authors and converted each other to favorite music. We have exactly the same taste in decor but can still argue about design. And there is no place in our home for sports, kitsch, filth, or meanness. Once he finally came around to getting us a dog, I can say without a doubt that he's truly perfect for me.

And I've learned a thing or two about myself in relation love and romance. For example, I realized that I would so much rather have Logan RAVE about my cooking than hear yet another "I love you." And I know that seems off. I realize this. But I know he loves me--but does he love the steak with herbs and Gorgonzola butter???? I just have to hear it. Because when I hear "This is AMAZING food!" It means "I love you" more than the tired expression can convey. Not that I mind hearing "I love you" once or twice a day. Just sayin.

So, lovers of the world, I ask you to contribute your bizarre secrets to connubial bliss. And then go make sweet, sweet love to your one and only.

4 comments:

Logan said...

Aw. You managed to make what could have been a lame cliche sappy "I wuv you" post into something genuine and very sweet. I agree that whatever flaws we might have, they are just the right flaws to make us each better for having the other. You make my life. Thanks, hon.

Soooo, consider that a secret shared. Now onto more important business...



P.S. My captcha word for this comment is "inessest". But, I assure you, Maret and I are NOT cousins. We checked.

P.P.S. I know some real punctuation snobs read this blog. My period following the quote is intentional. It just makes more sense for cases like this. Sorry.

Madame Palmkey said...

Hmm secrets of connubial bliss. Well there are two things (among others) that I especially love about MY fluffybunnikins.

1) He is very handy. I grew up thinking that the woman of the house had better know how to fix everything because men only fix things in movies. Turns out I was wrong. It seems every time I turn around Angelbunny has home improved something else, and I kind of love it.

2) He is a very thoughtful gift giver. He never needs a list or a reminder, because he actually listens to me. Oh my gosh it is snowing> Sorry,just noticed. Anyway, I was craving creme brulee a few months ago but couldn't make it for lack of tools. I bought one at sweet life, was disappointed and forgot about the whole thing. But what did I get for Christmas? A set of ramikins and a propane torch. That kind of thoughtfulness makes me feel LOVE LOVE LOVED.

Now about making sweet love to my bunnikins -- he is in cubeville right now. Inappropriate, or extra fun?

Lost in Translation said...

You guys are great for each other. Congratulations on hitting the three year mark and here is to many, many more. :)

Secrets to connubial bliss? Recognizing that some days are about just not killing each other. Nate's uncanny ability to say "I'm sorry" even when he has done exactly nothing wrong. Cooking together. Nate's scrambled eggs that got me through the first eight weeks of pregnancy when I could eat little else. Board games. Holding hands. Sex toys. You know, the usual stuff. ;)

Unknown said...

"Secrets" to connubial bliss? Not secrets, just the basics: Always speak kindly and lovingly, act "as if" even when you're not at your best on the inside (and yes, at times, I deserve an Academy Award), be "ever-ready" (even when you're not in the mood, by the time it's over, you'll be REALLY glad you did ;) be happy to be together and make the most of small, otherwise insignificant moments (party where you are!)