Thursday, April 8, 2010

Last Day of School

Today was my last day of law classes. I'm done. Now to enumerate the things that come to mind when I recall what I learned from law school:

* Some people have no sense of humor about changing the word Torte (for sale at the PILF auction) to Tort. Some people don't notice. Some people don't know the difference. These are the saddest people of all.

* I can't tell you anything about criminal law that you didn't already learn from Legally Blonde. Seriously, where was I in that class?

* The Internal Revenue Code is written by people who can't write legislation, legislated by people who don't know tax laws, and referenced by people who sound like they would be boring (by virtue of their interest in tax), but are actually some of the most hilarious and cool people on the planet. Like yours truly. If I had advice for future law students it would be to take a tax class no matter what. It applies to everything.

* Law school grading is a crap shoot. I've had my share of both awesome and crappy grades and there was no correlation between the grades and my knowledge of the subject.

* People who make silly You-Tube videos illustrating concepts of the law are saints and heroes. Hearsay Exceptions; Hercules Power of Attorney (General and Specific); Civil Procedure; The Importance of Shepardizing (OJ Simpson); Commiseration for the Weary Law Student. The last one is a concept in the law, believe it or not.

* FRCP 12(b)(6) is the legal equivalent to staring pityingly at someone for a few seconds before shrugging and walking away.

* It is unethical to screw your client.

* Pets are considered personal property.

Yep. Okay, no more of this. The next time I tell you anything I know, I'll be admitted to the bar and charging you for it. But for now, I must return to the poorly written revenue code and write a few more papers before next Wednesday.

2 comments:

The Fergy Bunch said...

Congrats on finishing. Strange time of year though. Did Logan hear from UofU? Do you have any job offers in Oregon?

Lost in Translation said...

Yippee! No more classes! No more papers! Yippee!!

(Now I have the Hearsay Exceptions song stuck in my head)

And my word identification is allylai. Are they trying to tell me to go on that Alli weight loss crap subliminally?