Immediately after being hooded and receiving my postage stamp-sized diploma I skulked out of Convocation to spend the rest of the day in gut-wrenching agony. Projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea aside, I relished the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity at today's re-check when my doctor entered the room.
"Hello, I'm Doctor Brown," he extended his hand to shake mine*.
"Hi, I'm Doctor Smith." a bleary-eyed, pajama-clad me replied.
I'm guessing he thought I was just a smart-ass until Lover explained that yesterday I received my Juris Doctorate. At which point he could be more certain.
BOOYA!
*He shook my hand BEFORE reading my chart explaining that I had come in the previous day with dysentery. When my lab results came in, he went out of his way to tell me he had washed his hands after shaking mine. Thanks, dude.
7 comments:
I really love the fact that you said that to him. (And no worries about the title.) Glad you're doing better now.
He went out of his way to tell you he'd washed his hands? Docs should be constantly handwashing, but that's just rude.
And yes, in many other places I'd be called Doctor Lost in Translation. It bums me out that I only get to attach the puny J.D. to my name. Though I had no letters before that, I suppose!
Great tale. :) I'm surprised you had the presence of mind to be so clever in your state at the time.
So what was it? Cholera?
Dear Dr. Smith:
You're kind of my hero (heroine) right now. Is it really dysentary because that's one of the leading causes of death on the Oregon Trail, y'know. I'm very concerned.
Congratulations,
Masters Candidate Young
(How lame does that sound?)
By popular demand--I spent 15 minutes googling diseases until I found the one that rang a bell. I am pretty sure he said I might have Clostridium difficile. But we may never know for sure.
Maybe you better start wearing a mask and not shaking hands until one of these doctors confirms your disease.
Congratulations on graduating from law school...so proud of you!
Dammit! I'm late to the party but oh how I wanted to make the first Oregon Trail joke.
Sigh.
Happy graduation.
In other news, this reminds me of once a friend of mine was in court and the defendant with a huge bandage over his eye. The judge politely said, "Oh! What happened? Did you get in a fight?" The defendant said, "No, I have an eye infection." The Judge said, "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Please don't touch anything on the way out."
BAHAHA.
Post a Comment