It has been a long, long time since I have attended a RS function...or church, for that matter. Between Primary, vacations, general conference, and illness, it's been a spotty couple of months. Anyway, since Logan is catching up on schoolwork, and we wouldn't be able to hang out, I had a bit of a wild hare (or is it hair?) and decided to attend the cooking group once more. My reasons were twofold:*
1. Because it was pumpkin night, and I love pumpkin goodies.
2. Because it was time for some good, old-fashioned blog fodder.
I arrived late. Unfashionably so, since I was unshowered and still in my stale pilates clothes. The hostess grabbed a chair and sat me between a group of strangers, and the woman who once praised me for not being "one of those opinionated law school girls." And for those of you keeping track, she's visibly pregnant again. Anyway, since I'm pretty sure I recently offended the husband** of the mistaken woman, I decided to chat with the unknowns to my right.
After promptly forgetting their names, we turned to the usual pleasantries of "How long have you been in the ward?" and "What age group do you teach in Primary?" and "Oh isn't that child hilarious?" Then of course it led to "How many kids do you have?" So and so had a 3 month old boy. What's-her-face had two. And the one who appeared to be at best a sophomore in college also had a son over a year old. Sigh. And me?
I had a really, really good answer for that question last time I blogged about cooking group (we had only been married for a month). So this time, I decided to rely lamely on the same excuse: "Nah, we're still pretty newlywed."
But they persisted--"How long have you been married?"
"Hm...over a year and a half," I calculated.
Unfortunately this led the group to discuss the lengths of their marriages, and it was revealed to me that Sister Sophomore was married 2 years ago. Which would mean she got knocked up when they had been married for only three short months. Which, in turn, would make my earlier excuse a bit awkward.
So, there you have it. That's how I stuck my foot in my mouth this time.
After that point, I was so NOT myself that I'm getting nauseous just looking back on it: I hid the awkwardness of my statement by playing dumb. Like an idiot teenager trying to impress a boy, I acted completely baby-naive around these women--lauding their ability to access their childrens' ages in months instead of years, faking ignorance as to the correct facing of a car seat for children under the age of two. And it was weird.
I'm happy these women are happy. But why isn't there anything else to talk about at these functions?
* Yes, I am making fun of the stupid 2L's definition of success when I use the word "twofold"
** This is a long and more nuanced story, but basically a guy in our ward sent out e-mails soliciting real estate business from his "friends and family." I told him I didn't know him, and to please stop sending me e-mails. He sent back an incredibly bitchy letter about how rude I was and how we were in the same ward and had attended the same law school and how he wasn't even going to take his full commission because it was a gift to his "friends and family," and how I should watch myself in the future, and on and on... It was pathetic. I was genuinely embarrassed for the guy, so I didn't bother replying to tell him:
1. Buck up, and be a man about rejection.
2. You've never once spoken to me. I really don't know who you are. I don't care if we attend the same ward or school--you're not my friend nor family.
3. Don't pretend to be some generous soul for not taking your full commission. You've had about as much experience selling real estate as I have had having babies. Zero.
7 comments:
Yes, I am glad you are one of the least opinionated people I know.
PS It is tenativly schedualed to birth twins next week if you are interested is a visitation.
Fortunately there are a few women in my ward (well, one so far) who is liberal and has a sense of humor about church so I have a pal even though she does have a baby and one on the way. I know what you mean about feeling like an odd duck though -- everyone asks me if Chris is in school and I say no he has a real job but I am in school and then they ask my major and usually I just let them think I am on my eighth year working on my bachelor's degree despite having no children or other visible reason why it would take me so long, because telling them I'm working on a PhD and am not actually in awe of law school would only make me seem weirder. Just keep going, they need reminders that they live in a bubble.
Also I want to visit the twinners Jennie. I hope at least one has red hair.
I think I missed some things... this post left me a tad confused. What 2L?
Ah, Mr. Twofold. You will never know the manifold ways in which you have enriched our lives.
Yeah, see, this, this right here, is why I attend these kind of things even less often than you do.
Next time you go to one and they start asking about your lack of posterity, make a face and say something about Logan having cooties. I'd really like to see where they'd go with that. On second thought, please wait to use this until I'm around to watch, aid and abet.
Jenny--I totally want to visit you!
Emily--I cracked up about your book club experiences.
Meg--My definition of success is twofold.
Elliespen--Clever. I'm really hoping for another craft night to pull that off. No night like craft night to let your hair down.
I struggle in attending any sort of RS-sponsored event.
I think it's great that people have kids. I think when/how many/if to have kids is their decision, and I wish that this presumption was impugned to my reproductive choices as well. It is most often not. I think the fact that I haven't had kids yet, that I'm in law school, and at times, a guns-ablazin' feminist makes most women I interact with in my ward incredibly uncomfortable.
Trouble is, the feeling is mutual. I don't want to talk about vomit and child bodily functions. I feel uncomfortable discussing thoughts attendant to a mindset 100% focused on the needs of husbands and children. I want to talk about ideas, dammit.
So I avoid RS-sponsored activities in my humble Lehi, UT ward. It's just better for everybody involved. I do like to cook, but I'd rather mess around in my own kitchen. I like to knit, but that's the extent of my craftiness. The concept of a Super Saturday devoted to 10 hours of sitting around sewing stuffed animals while gabbing about either Sister Ancient's goiter or Sister Newly Squeezed Out an Infant's breastfeeding adventures leaves me a little cold.
I'll stick to our law school geekery for now, and may find some way to assimilate in the future.
Post a Comment