My last post was about how much I love school. I do. The subject, the learning, my awesome 3L class, my sweet carrel in the corner. I love them. But I had almost forgotten how tiring it is to deal with the administration and the 2Ls.
The Administration
In addition to their backwards-thinking and rampantly violated "no internet in class" policy, and their slowness to schedule classes, and their constant switching of classrooms/times, and their patronizing attitude toward our use of microwaves, and their hollow assurances that we will find jobs: This year I unlocked the drawers of my carrel to find--in a sandwich baggie--a glowstick accompanied by a threatening note the gist of which was: "DO NOT USE THE GLOWSTICK!" I kid you not.
Apparently, in case of an emergency so great the lights of the entire school go out and the light from the sun and moon are blocked by miles of thick Provo pollution, we are to use our magic glowstick to get out of the building. Nevermind your laptop with its 2+ hour battery. And don't use your cellphone (which incidentally has a glow stick app). Use the glowstick. It's an idea so incredibly stupid that it needs no further snark on my part. Who could have possibly thought that was a good idea? Who would trust agitated law students with high school levels of maturity with a glowstick anyway? And what are we theoretically supposed to to in the event of an emergency in the Moot Court Room? Crawl back to the library blindly? Shuffle through the contents of our desks looking for the pen-shaped glowstick THEN exit? Seriously.
The 2Ls
(Or the second year law students, for those of you just tuning in.) The 2Ls are the most arrogant, entitled, slovenly, serious, know-it-alls I have ever met. They, especially the males, are intolerable. They lack an even basic understanding of common courtesy. They steal food, they make fun of their wives, they are selfish about the most absurd things (like not wanting other people to join a small class, which I may understand if it were graded, but it was pass/fail). I cannot think of a more hated group among my class. They have surpassed even the undergrads in terms of being obnoxious.
Anyway. Though my stance on law school has grown increasingly hard and bitter, my stance on Utah has softened over time. That's right folks, I now only "strongly dislike" Utah as opposed to hating it. The Utah valley scenery is still as ugly and brown as ever, but Logan and I went camping off the Aspen Loop and it was gorgeous...Oregonian, even :) Southern Utah is incredible, of course. Then there's the people of Utah. The terrible drivers. The sheltered Mormons. The white trash. I think my feelings are best summed up thus:
"Individually, I love you all with affection unspeakable, but, collectively, I look upon you with a disgust that amounts to absolute detestation.” - Frederick to the Pirates, The Pirates of Penzance
2 comments:
I say we distribute glow sticks with stickers indicating that they are "for rave-use ONLY." I think that would solve a lot of problems.
I laughed when I read this post. A lot.
I personally can acknowledge that some areas of Utah are tolerable, nay even pretty at times. Collectively, I think the landscape sucks big hair donkey balls.
As for absurd benevolent paternalism, this law school do beat all.
Post a Comment