Monday, August 24, 2009

Not my Last First Day

Happy first day of school! After 18 years spent in schooling I am still completely giddy and anxious for the first day of each year. As a child, the big family trip to Office Max at the end of August was a highly anticipated event, so much so that I wrote college entrance exams about it. I loved getting new school crap--especially colorful stuff and scented markers and dictionaries. I remember thinking teachers were mean for giving homework on the first day when I was in elementary school. I even remember how some of my more questionable outfits were worn proudly on the first day of school. Now I'm perplexed if I don't have a hideous assignment a week before class even starts (what will we talk about all hour without it?). I don't go through great pains to choose my wardrobe, and unfortunately nothing I do requires scented markers.

Nevertheless, I am so happy to be back in school. I love it!* Most of my 3L friends have been saying something to the effect of "It's my last 'first day' of school," but I can not bring myself to do it. There's still so much more out there to know. Maybe when I retire I can go back and get my PhD in psychology, or maybe I'll find myself in need of an MBA or a CPA certification a few years down the road. I'm just not committing to this being my last "first day." It would make me sad.



*Those who attend school with me may question why--if I love it so much--do I skip school so frequently. The answer lies in my motivation, my love for vacations, my hate for the snow, and my ability to sleep for 10 hours--not in my love for school. Plus most of my skipping last year was completely justified by better grades in skipped classes than attended classes.

4 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

Maret, you have such a great voice in your writing. Especially in this post. It was almost as if you were right next to me. I told someone yesterday that I miss back to school shopping, and he thought I was insane. I miss buying crayons and markers and then arranging them according to the rainbow.

Em said...

I wish I felt that way. I'm so burned out the idea of school makes me miserable. Of course it doesn't help that I did school last summer and this summer so I haven't really stopped. Maybe you get more of a kick out of a first day of school when you've experienced a "last day of school" in some fashion. Gripey gripey. We're making pizza, you should be here.

Xoxo Grandma said...

I miss school too...just not the tests / exams & term papers. My dream is to go to BYU-H for a spring or summer term & take painting classes...maybe scuba diving too, I'll forgo the hula classes!

Katie E. said...

She blogs! And it's hilarious! Yea for Maret!