Thursday, February 14, 2008

Adventures in Relief Society: Dessert Night

Okay, so I kid you not--As of 6:59 last night I had not left my house without my husband to go anywhere else but school. So when I left at 7:00 for the Relief Society cooking group, chocolate crackles in tow, I felt a bit anxious about the whole thing. It was about what you would expect of such an event--approximately 10 women gathered around baked goods, sharing recipes and stories about their pregnancies. After hearing several gruesome placenta and baby poo stories I tried to tune out so I could actually enjoy my chocolate cheesecake without thinking of feces.

My tune-out mechanism has become highly advanced since beginning law school. I can simultaneously surf the net and read my books in class while keeping the words "Ms. Thatcher, give us the facts of..." and "The basic rule for x is..." on my radar. I hadn't realized that my radar worked in my personal life until in the midst of bodily function words I heard the words "law conference" uttered by the most visibly pregnant of the women. After chatting with her for about 2 minutes I learned that her husband is in law school and then she seriously turned to me and said, "I'm so glad you're not one of those really opinionated law school girls."

After recovering from the disappointment that I had given her such a false impression, I probed further to figure out what she was really trying to say. From what I could gather, her husband is probably one of those chauvinists who, when discussing rape cases declares that "the woman deserved it" for wearing hotpants in a dance club. He probably brought home reports of those nasty women in class who had the audacity to vehemently disagree with him. So, I couldn't blame the girl.

The evening wrapped up with a discussion on how too many of Rachel Ray's recipes contain alcohol. I tried not to self incriminate but I couldn't help it--I piped in that the alcohol in her chili w/beer recipe would cook out, no problem, the one with the infant cried "Maybe, but who wants to go and buy a buh-eer!?" to which all the women murmered their agreement.

Next month the cooking theme is: CrockPots...I think I'm making Chili with Beer. :)

2 comments:

studentdocprocrastinator said...

AH, I don't know how to do these, I just left a comment and it all erased:(. Anyway, I WAS saying I can't beleive you guys started a blog!! Emily was really wanting to start one after she found some gems on Chris and Kim's page, but figured to you had to submitt cheesey wedding pics and only refer to yourself as "we" to be allowed.
Anyway, kudos to Maret for making a plan to return to that group, even if it is to spike their chilli. Bon Courage.

Madame Palmkey said...

Ok I know I'm reading this really late and you'll probably never even NOTICE that I commented but yikes what an awful tale! So much for treasuring knowledge! How can you stand it? Oh wait, I'm phrasing that all wrong. You're soooo lucky to have such cutie-pie preggo mommies to help you get a handle on your woom and make you want to have the HOTTEST fetus EVER. Did anyone ever yell out "Hot degree"? no. Be glad you hooked your man before he had a chance to realize that studying gives you wrinkles. Uckers! Luv ya!