Sunday, July 15, 2012

Things no one warned me about being an adult

This is the post-married, post-education, pre-child edition. Keep that in mind.

1. Making new friends is like entering the dating game all over again. Only worse. When you're young and cute, potential dating partners abound at school. As an adult with an isolating job, even finding a potential friend is nearly impossible. Once you see some friendship potential, you literally have to ask that person to hang out with you....like on a date... or pray that a social event comes up naturally.

You will be rejected. You have to figure out the whole--when is it okay to call this person to hang out again thing. You have to assess whether you're being intentionally dissed or whether you're just adults and adult lives make for bad timing for events. And just as in dating, you'll get dumped by old friends. Only worse because it's not so clear this time. Instead of them saying "I'm breaking up with you," and you throwing yourself a pity party with chick flicks, your best girlfriend, and Ben and Jerry, they'll just never invite you to things, or say hi, or respond to you. It's a lonely road. 

Oh, and that best girlfriend? She doesn't live anywhere near you.

2. You're going to have to buy real shoes. Do you have a job? Yes. Are tennis shoes appropriate....no. Do you REALLY want to wear heels every day? Hell NO!  Then it's time to buy real live adult shoes to go with your business slacks (you're also going to have to buy "slacks"). These shoes will cost about as much as your Playstation, and they won't be comfortable. 

3. The opportunity to dye your hair dark violet has long since passed. All those pseudo-rebellious things you could have done? Well, no one is impressed  by them anymore. No one wants to hire an attorney with teenager shoes and no one wants to hire an attorney with dark violet hair. It doesn't matter that you finally have the ovaries to do it. It doesn't matter that it actually would look really cute with your complexion (because it would). You have a mortgage, dammit. The best you can do is pin it on Pinterest and think of what might have been.

4. You really can't go back to college. Sure, you can take some continuing ed courses, but you probably won't. And even if you do, it's not the same. You'll be the old person you used to mock for making too many comments during class. You'll never return to your dorm room again--and you're glad for this. But it also means that you'll never again see your old roommate goofing off. And you kind of miss her. You can't base your self-worth on grades anymore. In adult life, Naked Juice costs about a hundred dollars--not four points at the Grab and Go. That hope you had? The possibilities for life? They graduated. And now they are you. This is the saddest of all. 

5. Your siblings are actually pretty cool. They're also the only ones who know exactly how weird your parents are. Or who still hurt with you when you think about the night your dog got hit by a car. But don't worry, they still have the ability to occasionally annoy the crap out of you. 

6. Decorating is expensive and you have no talent for it. You want a nice house. You want it to feel homey. But band posters--even from bands that are still cool--can no longer adorn your living room walls. So at this point you have the choice between buying REAL art (which is much too expensive) or crap decor from Bed Bath and Beyond (also too expensive, considering you're buying crap). If you're Mormon, you'll probably settle on printing 10,000 wedding pictures, framing the family proc, and getting woodblock letters that say "Believe" or "All because two people fell in love." Don't deny it. Own it.

7. Your college or university will start begging for more money the instant you stop paying tuition. It doesn't matter if you're underemployed, still looking for a job, or truly despise your school. Every. Single. Year. Sometimes even twice a year if it's some special event requiring even more money than usual. What is especially charming is that the student on the other line will say he's a student calling from, say, BYU Law. So you ask the student if he's a 1L--"Oh, I'm calling on BEHALF of BYU Law. I'm not a law student. I am A student and I just happen to be calling you FOR BYU Law." 

And you say, "Cool. Tell you what, I'll donate when your cooky student body which supposedly wrote the honor code lets men wear beards." 

'The student will say, "Seriously." 

And you say, "Seriously. Make a note in your system to not call me until that happens." He, of course, won't.  And you'll get another call in 6 months for the extra special "We Need$ MOAR MoneyS" event. 

8. Your performing arts talents are no longer impressive. So you had a good voice in high school. You were in a garage band. You had a great time in the annual Shakespeare. Great! What a wonderful formative experience for you. But guess what? In order to get cool points for being in a garage band, your band actually has to have talent. And it doesn't. Trust me. 

9. There actually is a limit to your earning potential. And you're likely 90% of the way to the limit already. This will just barely keep up with inflation. So the idea that someday you're going to have money to spend frivolously? A fantasy. A beautiful lie. 

10. Kids see you as old even as you see yourself as 19. The characters in Ferris Buler's Day off are younger than you are now. By quite a bit. When you go to the movies and see college-aged peers, they see you as a middle-aged couple (even if you're not). And even though you think you'll always be able to identify as 19 years old, you don't listen to their music, they can't remember what the world was like before 9-11 made us have naked searches at the airport, and they don't even know who Kurt Cobain is. They're lame, and you know it. But there's a part of your brain that thinks your still them.


What else did I miss?

6 comments:

Josh Alder said...

So true... it's tough to make adult friends, especially if you're the same age but your kids are different ages, or you don't have kids... or one spouse is a total douche.

One thing I never realized about adulthood is that you will deal with some truly incompetent adults. You expect incompetency with children, teens and those in their early '20s, but I still meet adults who are dumb as rocks when it comes to doing very adult things (e.g. making hotel/air reservations, responding to messages, knowing anything about current events, etc.).

I guess I always thought adults were tuned in to what was going on in the world. There's a woman in our ward who wrote a lengthy blog post that essentially said, "Did you KNOW that airlines now charge luggage fees?" a good year plus after the entire nation (seemingly) was talking about the end of free luggage on airplanes.

In short, I thought adulthood meant being smarter and more responsible. But, it doesn't.

Unknown said...

When your friends get married, you lose them, unless you are friends with both the husband and wife prior to their marriage. It is not possible to only be friends with one spouse.

Case 1: You and Mr. DeSmiths. I was friendly with both of you prior to your marriage, and am still.

Case 2: A good friend of mine married a girl who wasn't friends with ANY of his friends. I've seen him once in a year and a half. And it was awkward.

Lost in Translation said...

You don't get gold stars for going the right thing, for being a good person or neighbor or parent. Even in undergrad and (though less) in law school, you still receive external praise for being smart, fastest to get the right answer, or even just positive feedback through papers or test scores.

As a praise junkie, I'm still waiting for someone to see my sparkling kitchen and say, "WHOA! Way to go! I can see my reflection in that mother-f'ing sink. 10 points for Gryffindor!" or something. Give me 99 bloody trombones when I clean out the Closet of Doom. Instead, my toddler screams at me to pick him up for the 500th time that hour, after which he will promptly squirm out of my lap.

Madame Palmkey said...

You'll never get the dreamhouse. Pin it all you want, your budget and that house will never meet.

It turns out you were incredibly entitled as a teenager and you'll be spending the rest of your life paying for it -- silently doing the work that makes things possible. Like chaperoning dances, baking casseroles, folding chairs etc. etc. etc.

I plan to dye my hair with coolaid as an older mom when the hair goes grey. THere is still time. When I am old I will wear purple...on my head.

The Fergy Bunch said...

Okay for once I have to say I think you are spot on about everything. When Cory and I married most all of our friends left us and then we moved to Utah and until about 1 year ago I would have said we still had no real friends to hang out with.

As far as home decor I had the over done vinyl and wood blocks and felt ashamed when I had a professional decorator come through my house to strange it and she said it all had to go, it did not appeal to young buyers, aka in poor mom taste.

In relation to clothing every time I come home to visit my mom feels the need to dress me because I need adult clothes but do not always have the budget to shop at nice adult stores. To add on top of that being a mom just complicates this problem even more because you don't leave the house and have nothing to dress up for. I am proud to report however after 2 years of ugly mommy attire I have DIed most all of it and I found out that I am a woman and not a sweatpants wearing blob I had become.

Miss D said...

I can't help with most of those. But I can give you advice on decorating. Not sure I should, but I will. Mostly because I passionately hate wood block with cheesy sayings and even worse are the vinyl saying you just put straight on the wall. I have an unhealthy urge to start picking at them every time I see one.

So first, pick a theme/color scheme. I'm not a huge magazine person but that is one thing that makes them useful. Of course pinterest can help too. But decide what appeals to you. French cottage? 50s diner? Euro-mod? New Orleans south plantation? Then research. And you can always do different themes in different rooms. For example, our kitchen is 50s diner in red & aqua, with plenty of black & white, complete with vintage table & chairs bought at antique store for $200. Our living room is hardcore Texas. Shocking. Inheriting my sister's decor and Hobby Lobby's regular 50% off sales helped a ton.

Next, pay attention to small details. Painting and changing hardware & knobs on things will make amazing amounts of difference. I have 5 pieces of painted furniture in my sewing room alone.

Third, shop flea markets, antique stores, and thrift stores. It takes a whole lot more time but typically it saves you a ton of money and you find much more unique items. It doesn't look like you bought everything at IKEA or Bed Bath & Beyond because you didn't. And it's really not that hard to paint something or to strip it and refinish it. It just takes time.

In fact, I have just been inspired to blog about all the decor/organization problems that have been solved by trips to DI or an antique mall.