It was another absurdly wonderful day in Eugene. I've never seen an April this...well...not crappy. We spent the day doing yard work, eating yummy salad in the sunshine, and napping. After dinner, we went to Sam Bond's to see Betty and the Boy, a lovely 4-piece orchestral-folk Eugenian band. Very low key, very chill. So chill, in fact, that their 9 PM show had two opening bands who played 40 minute sets each such that I imagine Betty and the Boy are probably going to start sometime after midnight. As you may notice from the time stamp, I didn't make it.
Though there were plenty of grey-haired individuals, I felt like the oldest damned person there. I was *that* person grumping about the volume of the bar, the length of the set, the volume of the drums, that stupid emo haircut, and why was it taking A YEAR for the second band to set up? I only made it 2 (VERY loud) songs into the second set of some indie hipster band (who I would probably enjoy at a safe distance between the hours of noon and 10 PM) before begging to leave. I am officially eighty years old.
And while we're on the path to self-discovery, I've discovered a new skill. I can sing just about anything in the correct key from memory. I don't mean in tune, I mean in the precise key the piece was intended. This discovery has been unfolding as I realized my annoying habit of correcting the key whenever Logan opens his mouth to sing unaccompanied. He put me to the test--naming a song, having me sing it, and comparing it to the original. I won every time. So basically, this is my new favorite game.
I would like to leave you with two simple pleasures that will make life happier:
1. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. We didn't have Bravo in the 90's, so I completely missed this reality TV gem until it appeared on Netflix one day. As the name suggests, in every episode five gay men polish the rough edges of one straight guy until he shines like the sparkly diamond he was always meant to be.
Each episode begins with the longest, gayest, happiest theme song ever during which the five stars (each with their own specialty) receive a type of bat-signal on their tiny cell phones, beckoning them to a straight guy emergency. Grooming guy tosses his hair dryer like he's a gunslinger, food and wine guy brings his whisk and ...you know what? Just watch it. Here: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy opening theme.
Now just TRY and tell me you don't want to dance. That's right. The "Fab Five" show up to the straight guy's house and good-naturedly make fun of his decor, fashion sense, hair, refrigerator contents, and any strange crusty things found in the home. 40 minutes later the guy is made over, has a sweet new pad, and knows how to cook something. And the straight guys are usually awesome, sweet, dudes who needed the help. Some straight guys get teary over it, they're so sweet. In all seriousness, it's one of the most uplifting shows on television. And it's perfect to have on when you don't need to pay close attention, like when you're picking up around the house or whatever. It's so cheerful. I love it.
2. Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Naturals Deodorant. I'm dead serious, this is the best deodorant I've ever tried. Most natural deodorants make you smell like the Saturday Market at 4:00 PM. This one smells like a day spa and it doesn't contain carcinogens. I cross my heart. Sincerely, The Girl Who Could Sweat Through Prescription Deodorant.
"Allll things just keep getting better!"
No comments:
Post a Comment