2011 sucked. But since I've thoroughly captured the sucktastictude in the paper journal, I'll capture some good stuff here:
In 2011, I...
1. Worked for me. I picked my own clients. I stayed home when I felt like it. I never had to call in sick or request time off. I got to own every failure and every success as 100% mine. I moved to a wonderful new office half the size of my house. I have made friends with wonderful people who go out of their way to be nice to me for no discernible reason. I've had wonderful clients and hilariously awful clients. But mostly wonderful. It certainly has it's drawbacks, but going solo has many perks.
2. Ate whatever I wanted to eat and lost 5 pounds. I found that I generally wanted to eat healthful foods. Since eating ice cream for breakfast or cupcakes for dinner was not taboo, it lost its seductive appeal. On my anniversary I was two pounds skinnier than on my wedding day. I typically don't find myself craving crap. Right now I want Greek yogurt and granola and honey and steak with mushrooms and a big oriental salad. It's not for everyone, but the "eat whatever" diet worked wonders for me.
3. My dog survived. It sucked that she got sick and the price tag for her illness sucked even more. But I still have her. And I can not imagine having had to face 2011 without her.
4. I learned a lot. I learned to be more patient with people when people were patient with me. I learned that I can survive many a meltdown. I learned that it is better to open your mouth in church than to spend every Sunday squirming uncomfortably. I learned how to drywall, negotiate with insurance companies, and give people difficult news.
5. I had at least a pint of Ben and Jerry's in my freezer 80% of the year. And I ate it. And declared it good.
6. I read very little, but what I read, I enjoyed immensely. The Hunger Games, Bonk, Naked, Shades of Grey. I created some new all-time favorites. (I hope to read more in 2012).
7. I celebrated my 4th anniversary with the best guy ever doing random acts of kindness. We bought a stranger's lunch at Hawaiian Time, brought flowers and care packages to the Women's health center for women who miscarried, sprinkled Starbucks and Duck Store gift cards around UO campus like Easter eggs. Bought dinner for a lonely grad student working late. Gave blood. Left money at a vending machine. Waved like ninnies to various people we came in contact with. It was kind of a riot. We'll have to do it again sometime.
8. I saw friends from law school who I miss very much.
3 comments:
I read Shades of Grey (on your recommendation) and the Hunger Games in 2011 as well. :)
Thanks for the recommendation. It was right up my alley. I'm really looking forward to future installments.
Have you read the rest of Jasper Fforde's books? I love the Thursday Next series. Mr. Fforde's imagination and originality absolutely amaze me!
This blog post is an example of one of the many reasons I love you.
Here's to a rockin' 2012.
Post a Comment