I'm just sitting here waiting for my husband to finish up with his appointment. Through nifty stalker technology by Apple, I can tell he has not yet left. It's called Find My Friends, and I'm obsessed. No more awkward coordination calls or texts--just follow your friend around on the map!
Anyway, I bet you're all curious to know why on Earth I'm paying a parrot's vet bills. Well, I'll tell you.
There's this exotic pet store where I buy Olive's food. It's a great store--independently owned and very Eugenian, it had a wallaby and a coatamundi and birds and dogs and the most expensive dog food money can buy. We love it. Dogs are allowed, so I frequently bring Olive to the store so she can be exposed to many animal sights and smells.
And I know what you're thinking: Dog attacked bird in pet store. Well you would be wrong, so stop and just read the story. Olive isn't really the attacking type. She's a mean woof type. She's a the flip out with excitement type. She's a find food on the floor and eat it type. At this pet store, she likes to quietly sniff the caged animals. In the interest of full disclosure, I will say the wallaby concerned her such that she backed away and her hackles were up. But who can blame her? It was the size of a large dog standing on two legs. Highly suspicious.
Anyhow, one week ago, we stopped by for some food. Olive was seated quietly observing the birds when I noticed that one bird was out of its cage. I mentioned it to the owner, who then STUPIDLY brought Lulu the Parrot over to me for closer observation.
If I were exaggerating, I would tell you. So I'm not exaggerating when I say that ALL Olive did was stand on her hind legs to sniff the bird. I made her sit. And then it all happened so fast...
Lulu DIVED off the owner's finger onto Olive's head. Yes. Olive's head. Olive then flipped the bird and somehow in less than a second it was IN HER MOUTH. I'm screaming in horror! The owner is flipping out! Tropical feathers are flying everywhere! I open Olive's mouth and the bird tumbles to the ground, twitching pathetically.
When the situation stabilized, I found myself leaning toward the (ex?)parrot while clutching my incredibly compliant dog's jaws shut. The owner was near tears, cooing and whispering to Lulu and holding her tight. It was truly pathetic. Olive obediently followed me outside. Other than shock, a few lost feathers, and a gimpy leg, Lulu was miraculously okay. Olives 1-inch fangs didn't pierce her skin. Nothing was visibly broken. I volunteered to take care of any vet bills. Just because I didn't want to be a jerk.
Driving away from the store, there was nothing to do but laugh. Olive is such a pathetic hunter, I didn't ever believe she would get a bird in her mouth. Good for her. Anything with such poor survival instincts deserves a microsecond in a dog's mouth.
7 comments:
That story was actually pretty awesome. Intense. Exciting. Happy ending. Thanks for sharing it. And I am glad the parrot did not cease to be.
I love it when you blog because of posts like these...
I read this while wandering the halls of Target and disrupted a group of holiday shoppers when I busted out laughing.
This story was awesome. Olive for the win!
Hooray for Olive! That was totally the combined idiocy of the shopkeeper and the bird, who could really blame Olive? Hahah, love it.
I just wish I could have been there to revel in how fierce and ferocious a hunter my dog is. It's quite unexpected. I did get to see our DSL hookup guy almost wet himself with fright on Wednesday when Olive ran out the front door to get pet by a NEW PERSON! That was fun.
When you said Olive "flipped the bird", I initially thought of the slang definition of that phrase. And for a split second I was confused because dogs don't have fingers. Ha!
"He's joined the choir invisible." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It kinda reminded me of the time that one of our labs actually caught a cat she was chasing out of the yard, but it surprised her so much that she had ACTUALLY managed to catch it, that she immediately dropped it.
Post a Comment