Sunday, November 6, 2011

Speaking Up

I try to play nice and keep my mouth shut during church. But a few weeks ago, I couldn't. I ran my mouth off against the seriously dumbed down version of the gospel I was being fed as it pertains to women. I had been sure that doing this would make me an anathema. Oh well, it wasn't as if I had church friends anyway. But an amazing thing happened! People came up to me atfer church and whispered in hushed tones that they felt the same way, and suddenly for the first time in a year I have church friends. Like...multiple.

Point is--I'm better off being myself. And it's pretty good to be me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had similar experiences... The ladies are a lot more interested in me when I'm up front about being a heretic. They all think I'm so brave and so funny and so crazy.
It mostly drives me nuts that they feel like they have to hide what they think... like it's not safe or something. It really bothers me.

Jenna said...

This pleases me.

Lost in Translation said...

I think speaking up can be important, tempered of course by a reasonable amount of kindness and respect. I'm glad that you had a good experience with speaking your mind, and that it gives you confidence the next time you feel the desire to do so.