I feel as if sales calls have become increasingly rude. I mean, they were always rude. But now it's as if selling products in your nicest, most enthusiastic voice proved a poor business model. The new and improved model seems to entail attempts to dupe the person into talking to you, quickly deciding whether they or not they are stupid enough to continue with the charade, and if they're not, abruptly hanging up on them.
Let me illustrate: I just received a call from a blocked number--my own mother's number is blocked, so I answer. "Hello?"
"Hi I'm Shelly calling on your copier!"
"You're on my copier?"
"I'm calling on your copier."
"...Yes. You said that. I'm not sure what you're talking about."
"YOUR COPIER! Don't you have a copier there?"
"Where is 'there'?"
*click*
Shelly, it seems, had an existential crisis about her location and hung up on me. In the old model I hung up on them. I'm really disappointed that under the new, ruder business model I can no longer lead them down a long and convoluted path of conversation, terminating in a lost sale. I suppose the new business model is more efficient, but I miss those tender and desperate moments when they actually wanted my business--regardless of my superior intellect.
Sigh.
2 comments:
The thing I love most about this is your insistence that she clarify her grammar choices, specifically her use of prepositions. Love it.
The copier people are my favorite! I like to mess with them:
Them: I just need to confirm the model number on your copier to make sure the toner you ordered is the right one.
Me: What model number do you have on file for us?
Them: Well, that's on my computer, but it's a little bit broken right now and I can't really read it. Can you just get it off the unit for me?
Me: Your computer is a "little bit broken"?
Them: *click*
It's a nice diversion from my actual work. :)
Post a Comment