Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pedestals like Prisons

I hate the pedestal. I just got an e-mail from the Women & Philanthropy group with THE WORST logo. It's an abstract female figure on a pedestal. I had an almost visceral reaction to it. I really hate the pedestal.

I grew up having positive associations with pedestals. Whenever I might hear, "He puts that girl on a pedestal" I thought, oh. How nice. He elevates her. My analysis of the metaphor was shallow. The statement was intended to be positive and I interpreted it as such. But the thing about shallow analysis is that it doesn't hold up over time. So let's take a closer look at the pedestal as a symbol particularly with reference to women:

The pedestal elevates women above men. Let's be clear--women are not better than men. Men are not better than women. This misplaced elevation isn't necessary or welcome. How often has the argument that women are more spiritual, more sensitive, more nurturing been used to dictate to women what they should and should not do. Not only does the pedestalization of women leave her with fewer choices, but it creates a complex. Woman, placed on her pedestal, must continue to adhere to everyone's expectations of her.

The pedestal and its female occupant are merely ornaments. While architectural columns serve structural purpose, a pedestal is decorative. Its function is to make pretty things like vases, flower arrangements, and women more visible. Once visible, these objects may be appreciated for their physical appearance alone. The woman on a pedestal is no more intelligent than a vase and no more substantial than a flower.

The woman is always put on a pedestal by a man
. A woman who is "put" on a pedestal has no say in the matter. If the symbol were so great, why wouldn't men want to join her up there? While theoretically possible for the gender roles to reverse, there's a reason the reverse has never taken off. Men are allowed to succeed or fail on their own. A woman who is picked up and placed on a pedestal has no opportunity.

The woman on a pedestal is fragile.
In denying women rights, it has often been argued that women are too sweet, too spiritual, too delicate to participate in, well...you name it. Those opposed to women's suffrage argued that politics would corrupt women. Those opposed to women working outside the home argued that women are physically unable to do so. Like a statue, woman on a pedestal is considered "too valuable" to do anything but sit there in her sphere.

While standing on a pedestal, the woman is immobile. Pedestals don't come with stairs or ladders or wheels. Pedestals are not aerodynamic, and they do not float in water. Where does a pedestal go? Wherever it is placed. A woman on a pedestal is not free to leave it in any other way but falling. The effect of the pedestal is that it keeps woman in her place: in the home...or maybe in the garden.

What the pedestal really symbolizes prison. I'd rather be on the ground. I'd rather be a tree with deep roots and high branches and a thick trunk. I'd rather be a dog with keen senses and deep loyalty. If I can't be on the ground I'd rather be under water as a fish or up in the air as a bird than be stuck on a platform. If any man wishes to compliment me, he won't "put" me anywhere. He will speak to me as an equal. He will treat me with the respect that he demands.

The symbol of placing women on a pedestal is demeaning and should be discontinued.

3 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Oh I WORSHIP you for saying that! Ha. I dated a young man whose name rhymes with Pandy Pell who actually got angry with me for using the colloquialism "true dat" because "it took me off my pedestal." Wonderful.

Interestingly, several branches of first wave feminists tried to use the pedestal argument for equality (as you probably know). If women are so pure and naturally good, wouldn't you want them voting?

If women are so intuitively spiritual and so apt to serve (because socialization can plan NO role in that!) wouldn't you want them to have the priesthood? I figure coping with sexist pedestal placing is the polygamy of our era -- a miserable ordeal that hopefully means I get an extra gold star on my righteousness chart and a century from now women will shake their heads and say "I can't believe my grandma had to go through that. I never could." I almost dread having daughters, thinking of what lies ahead, but I dread having sons lest they become part of the problem. Maybe I should have goldfish.

Josh Alder said...

Pandy Pell!!!! That... is... hilarious!! :)

I totally agree. I've always been a big fan of womanhood, being that I have a crazy Latina mother and three younger sisters, and grew up with my mom's fiercely matriarchal family (as many Hispanic families are). I was never taught that woman were fragile little dolls that needed to be kept on a shelf... as a result, the oldest of my two sisters are very outspoken individuals who've always taken care of themselves, and pretty much run the show in their respective families.

My younger sister is not quite as independent, but she's a senior in college now and not engaged... so I consider that a win (even though she has a ridiculously worthless and dopey boyfriend... argh).

But as far as spiritual? Out of the four of us, only the youngest sister and myself are active... and the other two siblings ran away from the church pretty quickly after leaving home. So, I think the whole "women are more spiritual stuff" is bunk. It just depends on the person. In my family of four woman and two men, my dad and I were by far the most devoted to the church (my mom has gone from Utah-born member-from-birth fully active, to married in the temple, to less active, divorced, excommunicated, re-baptized, slightly active and inactive once again. My dad is as solid as they come in the church, with his family dating back to pioneer times.).

Bottom line : Women are awesome. Men are awesome. Women are total bitches. Men are total dicks. It really just depends on the person. Nobody belongs on a pedestal... although some men and some women probably deserve a trophy for being just so damn cool.

And, Maret... if I had such a trophy, I would have given you one years ago. :)

Lost in Translation said...

I don't have a great deal to add to what's already been said except to say brava!

Women aren't fragile. They don't need to be preserved on a shelf. Women freaking push 10 pound babies out of an opening the side of a quarter. Women are tough.

The pedestal be damned.