Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Overheard at BYU

So there's this facebook fan group called "Overheard @ BYU" where people post quotes of the ridiculous things they hear on this ridiculous campus. All my classes are in the law building so I don't have the misfortune to hear all the dumbasses on the other side (with the exception of YOU, darling), so I read "Overheard" basically to make myself miserable.

Most people post things because they think they're hilarious. Yet most things I read are just sad, racist, misogynist crap. But I find myself drawn to the page every time I want to hate BYU more than I already do. So as I'm shaking my head in judgment at these quotes I wasn't expecting to be sucker-punched with hilarity when I read:

"Every time Tim Curry smiles a puppy dies."






Think about it.

6 comments:

Logan said...

"...I don't have the misfortune to hear all the dumbasses on the other side (with the exception of YOU, darling)"

So what I get from this is that I'm the only one you have the misfortune of hearing?

The third picture is my favorite.

Logan said...

"Every time Tim Curry smiles a puppy dies."

That is correct! Circle gets the square. I also would have accepted, "Every time a puppy dies, Tim Curry smiles."

Lauren Kay said...

Maret, I'm actually really sad that you hate BYU and Utah so much. Don't get me wrong, I moved out as soon as I could, and think that the majority of the BYU population is misinformed and biased. But it's really not THAT bad. I can't even imagine what you would have done doing undergrad there!

Motion DeSmiths said...

Lauren--I wouldn't have lasted a semester in undergrad land. BYU's students are silly and pious and its administration is inefficient and poorly run. I can handle most of the people individually and I like a great deal of them, don't get me wrong. But collectively? The mass of prudes all in one place makes me shudder.

Lost in Translation said...

The law school is a great deal better than the general undergrad land, but it can be truly irritating at times. I mostly get tired of the attitude that the administration of BYU is run by God and that everything they say is the infallible guidance from on high.

But yeah, Tim Curry's smile is creepy. Puppies around the world weep.

Josh Alder said...

Maret -- Just know that the recounting of your experiences at "The Lord's University" have forever confirmed to me that when I was accepted to BYU for undergrad more than a decade ago and decided NOT to matriculate therein, it was one of the greatest decisions of my entire life.

And, why am I not surprised that the administration is inefficient and poorly run? It seems like all the non-doctrinally based entities of the Church are often as such, despite the good intentions of (some) of the people involved. I suppose it will always be so.