Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cheddar Buh-eer Fondue

In case you missed it, one of my first blog entries discussed my affinity for using alcohol in cooking. Even "buh-eer" (as my Relief Society President once called it). So the following recipe clearly isn't for everyone in this, the driest of states, but it's beyond delicious for anyone who wants to give it a try.

* 1 C Heineken or bottled imported beer (if you use "Bud," "Coors," or worse-- "O'Douls" in my amazing recipe your cheese will taste like piss and I will hunt you down.)
* 2 C shredded Tilamook cheddar cheese (medium or sharp depending on your preference)
* 3 TBS crumbled bleu cheese (or more, if you prefer a sharper fondue)
* 1/4 C OLD gouda. The older, the better. I used 4-year from SF. UT's cheese selection will probably prove more limited. Find a sweet, nutty, hard cheese.
* 1 tsp flour
* 1 clove garlic, minced

1. In fondue pot bring beer to a low boil
2. While beer is heating, toss cheeses with 1 tsp flour, coating the shreds. This prevents the cheese from separating into a nasty oily mess.
3. To the boiling beer, add minced garlic
4. Stir cheese mixture into beer one handful at a time, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth
5. Keep the cheese on the heat on LOW. My fondue pot burns things, so be careful.
6. Serve with crusty french bread, apples, Adiel's chicken apple sausage (best stuff ever. It's in the Costco deli section), and cooked cauliflour.

YUM YUM.

3 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Is there any way that you could be banished from the state permanently? Because you're ruining the overall sperchality of Provo. I bet every single unwed mother in Utah decided to fornicate after smelling boiling beer driving past your house. For shame. Only a liberal educated non-pregnant menace from the mission field would stoop so low. I hope your priesthood holder straightens you out! And if the man of the house wrote this, I complete withdraw all criticism and just smile indulgently.

Josh Alder said...

Very interesting.

OK, so you know me... curious like a cat, I decided to do some research. I've always heard that when you cook with alcohol, it all cooks away.

Then I found this article with data from the USDA's Nutrient Laboratory.

Not that I'm one to judge, as even if this cooking with Heineken might be considered sinful by some, I know you like it for the taste and not as an excuse to buy beer (BTW... do you wear a disguise when you buy it so the Honor Code narcs don't report you? I'm guessing they don't sell imported beer and spirits at the BYU Creamery.)

In any case, I'm certain your "Cheddar Buh-eer Fondue" is delicious, if not absolutely "lush"-ious> ;)

Here's the article:

"Does alcohol burn off in cooking?"

Motion DeSmiths said...

Interesting article. Yeah, I never once assumed that the alcohol was completely burned off, as the cheese still has quite a kick.

Still, I find it gloriously HILARIOUS that even after a 10 minute pop in the oven, EVERY MORMON HOUSEWIVE'S COOKIES are STILL ALCOHOLIC! Tehehehehehehehehe.

Test the researchers didn't do:

Boiling (as I did here. They simmered, sure, but boiling is different all together. My favorite day of high school science was spent separating "sludge." I was able to do this b/c different liquids burn off at different rates. It was seriously rock awesome.)

Either way--Beer's alcohol content is relatively low compared to vanilla. . . I therefore wonder which is more "sinful"-- Several scoops of cookie dough or several dips of crusty bread in my fondue?

Or a dollop of homemade whipped cream (where the alcohol in vanilla certainly does NOT cook off) v. my white wine chicken in mushrooms? Or chicken marsala? Or rum cake?

I could go on and on, but my personal conclusion is that: it's based on your intent. And for my part, so long as I'm not taking a sip of my vanilla/beer/marsala wine while cooking, I'll be okay.