Friday, October 1, 2010

AYCJ - Day 13, 14, 15 Sunbathing in San Juan

When the plane landed in San Juan, PR, everyone erupted in applause. Apparently it's a thing they do here. Ah, to be alive. Anyway, having depended on public transportation and the kindness of friends for the entire trip, we were surprised to find that NO ONE would tell us whities where the busses ran. "Bus to Condado?" we would ask.

"No, you take a taxi."
"But is there a bus?"
"Not for you. You take a taxi."
"But we want to take a bus. We like the bus."
"Bus is slower than a taxi."
"Yes, I hear they tend to be. They also tend to be significantly less money"
"Taxi is over there."

FINE. So we took a taxi for the first time on the trip. It was fast. It was nice. It was expensive. But I guess it was more appropriate to arrive at our four-star hotel by taxi than bus. Wowzers. Hotels.com found it for us on a special and it was niiiice. It was right on the ocean with a gorgeous ocean view, a balcony, sleek modern furniture with buttery soft leather, a really sexy bathroom with excellent use of lighting and fogged glass, and a $25 a day food credit which I spent on multiple passion fruit smoothies per day.

Decadence suits me.

And there's not much else to say. We watched the surfers from our balcony every morning and spent an entire day on this canopy bed on the beach reading and sipping juice. One day we went to Old San Juan to see the castles. We quickly decided that we'd seen it and it was pool time once more. We tried to get our fill of plantains. I ate mofongo, an amazing, delicious stuffed plantain dish. And did I mention the passion fruit smoothies? Divine.

And that's how we ended our whirlwind tour.

My dog went ape-shit crazy when she saw us again. This delighted me to no end, and I let her tackle me to the ground and lick my face. Manners be damned! I had my puppy again! The cat said "meow" with curiosity and then sat on our laps the entire ride home. It was a tearful and happy reunion.

Basically, I pretty much know how the pioneers felt arriving in the valley. ;)

No comments: