In the middle of running errands today, I passed by my favorite bakery, The Chocolate. Somehow, I convinced Logan to purchase an entire cake (chocolate with caramel frosting) instead of settling on a couple of cupcakes or a big slice like we might usually do. I used the "drop in the bucket" argument--as in, we have spent so much money today (on our rental deposit, 1st month's rent, and a washer and dryer), that this delicious cake will be a drop in the bucket.
So, he bought it for me. And though we share every cent we earn (or borrow from the government, as the case may be), he enjoyed the feeling of buying it for me. So I let him. We then decided that today was 2nd Birthday. For those of you unfamiliar with 2nd Birthday, it's a term I made up today describing the once-yearly event when I get a cake for no damn reason.
But what is 2nd Birthday without a present? So we swung by Costco to get the Camelback I've been coveting for the summer hiking adventures that I am now financially invested in having.
If you think my "2nd Birthday" excuse for cake is thin, then consider this, friend: In addition to being the day I get cake for no damn reason, today is also the day that I found out that I passed all my classes and have officially graduated from BYU Law. Another interesting tid-bit is that all my grades this year have been the exact same number. Hm.
Or perhaps we could celebrate the dawning of a new era--Logan sold his car today and we put down the deposit on a rental in Eugene. While the house meets less than half of my dream house requirements and is twice what I wanted to pay, I'm done looking. Which is nice. And my landlord is a retired prosecutor at the DA's office, so maybe he can give me the hookups, and I'll find a job, and on the balance the monthly rent for his old, tiny house will basically pay for itself. Okay, probably not. But I'm trying to find something to make up for the lack of a hot tub gazebo or raised garden beds.
2 comments:
Where is this second-rate domicile? I am having a regular birthday soon, and then we have Bastille Day to look forward to. Oh wait, Mhana will be in France on 14 July, well, why should that stop us?
There is no justification needed for 2nd Birthday. It's like second drink, when the ice in your glass melts. How was that cake? It has been ages since we've been to The Chocolate.
Post a Comment